Author Topic: Clutch questions  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
Clutch questions
« on: July 18, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »
Alright, so ever since I got my FXT(Stage 1 Clutch + Lightweight Flywheel) I've hard a hard time with the engagement point. I can have a pretty rough start in first every so often, and its really annoying me. I thought maybe it was the clutch on its way out but I did the 5th gear 2500RPM WOT test and didn't have any slip at all. Am I really just that bad of a driver that I can't get used to a LW flywheel and stage 1 clutch after a year of driving it or should I be looking at other issues?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Clutch questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:59:44 pm »
I don't want to say it... but maybe?

If it's not slipping, you could try adjusting the pedal itself to your preference, but maybe you're just not giving it enough gas off the line?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:57:40 pm »
I don't want to say it... but maybe?

If it's not slipping, you could try adjusting the pedal itself to your preference, but maybe you're just not giving it enough gas off the line?
I'm gonna get one of my buddies to adjust it for me(I cannot fit in that tight space or my back hurts like hell). I'm hoping to god I'm not thaaat bad of a standard driver, but I see no other reason for the stutter.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:32:50 am »
I have the same setup in the same Fozzy less the lw fly. I've also ran it before I put in the stage 1 clutch, not much changed other than the pedal feeling a bit stiffer but how the clutch slips/engages didn't feel much different. Its a bit juttery at times, but I'd put it more on it being a subaru with sloppy old oem drivetrain bushings. Is this your first Subaru?

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:43:26 am »
I have the same setup in the same Fozzy less the lw fly. I've also ran it before I put in the stage 1 clutch, not much changed other than the pedal feeling a bit stiffer but how the clutch slips/engages didn't feel much different. Its a bit juttery at times, but I'd put it more on it being a subaru with sloppy old oem drivetrain bushings. Is this your first Subaru?
Nope, I had an 03 WRX before and never had the issue but it was stock clutch and flywheel. I wonder if replacing drivetrain bushings would actually make a difference? Cause its infuriating and I wanna fix it.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 12:12:22 pm »
I've seen mixed reviews of the various bushings in regards to the jutter, some people say some of the bushings helped with it, others say it did nothing to help. I haven't done any of the bushing installs yet so I can't say first hand myself either way, but it would make sense to me that it could largely help.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 03:23:15 pm »
I've seen mixed reviews of the various bushings in regards to the jutter, some people say some of the bushings helped with it, others say it did nothing to help. I haven't done any of the bushing installs yet so I can't say first hand myself either way, but it would make sense to me that it could largely help.

It would make sense to me as there is a lot of lurching around when I'm on/off the throttle around 3k rpm. Maybe I'll look into that. I swapped from the Lightspeed tune I had to a Cobb Stage 2 this afternoon just to see if that had anything to do with it(electronic throttle feel?) and I'm not sure if it was a placebo or not but it seemed a bit better.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »
Lightspeed tune

Probably not the problem, but it sure doesn't help.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 10:09:59 pm »
is it cable or hydraulic clutch?
my 00 OBS has always had a super pisspoor transistion from gear overrun (trans driving the engine) to regular power. its like when i take my foot off the gas too quick, the whole trans bounces left right a couple times while you get jerked around in the cab and all your passengers think youre a ittshay driver. Not sure what it is. Ive replaced trans mount, engine mounts, clutch, flywheel, and converted to hydraulic (this is the only thing that made ANY difference)... I can only assume its worn gears or something..
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 02' WRX Wagon
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:15:57 am »
I pretty much get the same issues as darthekai. Also, let me note that this weekend I swapped from an 02 tranny to a 03 tranny and the chatter issues persisted albiet much less than my old tranny. I put in a new throwout bearing with a snout kit and a new pilot bearing. My guess is it's the new clutch itself. What's funny is exedy made the OEM clutch as far as I know. Most people upgraded to the exedy one that shares the same model code but with the addition of "HD" at the end. Signifying a heavier set of shock loading springs on the pressure plate. Based on tons of reading I've come to the conclusion that fresh and possibly stiffer shock load springs make the transmission backlash bounce back and forth giving you the chatter sound. The worn transmission teeth and worn/lighter springs in the OEM setup don't cause the vibration which is why it never happens until you swap a clutch. However, this is just my current running theory. I've got my old 5-speed to take apart and investigate. When I do I'll post some thoughts on that.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »
Well maybe I should go back to a stock FW and Clutch then considering I'm not making any good power.. Thanks for all the input guys!