Author Topic: 2015-2016 Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 11109 times)

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
Re: 2015-2016 Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 01:04:58 pm »
How tall are you kijho? I have a Burton board and binding I'd sell relatively cheap as it's my old setup.

Also, spend money for good boots. They make all the difference.

I'm 5' 9" 155lbs.  I looked at some chart online, saying 155cm board?  I know there's many different types though, but for beginner I would just like to shred down some snowy hills.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:04 pm »
I have a basically brand new board that I paid $475 for that I am willing to sell for $150 + shipping or WSC courier. It is in the everything else for sale section. It is just the board but that leaves you $450 for bindings/boots which is more than enough. Let me know :)

But yes boots are most important! Definitely do not cheap out on those or you will be done riding after your first run.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
Who's telling you great?

El Nino = Dry = :(

That being said... I'm still gonna get out to the backcountry. Any backcountry guys on here?

WARM + WET just like....
uh vancouver.

but all from the coast so big dumps in the northern coastal range and big dumps in the northern west side of the rockies (read: powderking, like they needed more snow) and itshay all for us folks down south except tropical weather. Theres also "the blob" hovering off the coast of BC thats supposed to warm up airmasses even further (and wetten, but again we wont see the benefit).
We'll see how it goes.

As for backcountry, im 1000% down, I lost my b/c buddy to a job in vancouver last spring, so I need some new contacts! hit me up plzzzz
I dont know itshay for location, and im not massively in shape, but im not some noob on showshoes and jeans and a rental beacon he doesnt know how to use and no terrain knowledge.

P.s. Going to try and hit revy opening weekend. Fernie is also looking gooooood. LL is awful undoubtedly (as always). Any word on sunshine?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »
When is Revvy opening? I went there a couple years back and although I am pretty much a park rider I had the time of my life riding that mountain! So steep and soooo much snow! I was a little out of my element but to date that was probably my favorite day of riding I have had, did my first ragdoll that day too lol.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 08:10:15 pm »
Nov 28.

They just surpassed 3m of snow so far this year.

I love Revelstoke mountain... so much terrain, never feels full..

Im probably hitting up Lake Louise for a day next week to shake off the rust.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline kehuynh

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 03 Crown Estate ATH V, 04 Crown Athlete EX: 90 Mazda MX-5, 03 Infiniti M45
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:56 pm »
I can sell you a set of union flight pro bindings to go along Dylan's board if your feet fit.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 09:35:54 am »
I'm 5' 9" 155lbs.  I looked at some chart online, saying 155cm board?  I know there's many different types though, but for beginner I would just like to shred down some snowy hills.

I have a Burton Se7en 157cm with Burton Mission bindings. Put fresh wax on it and haven't used it in years as I got a more park board before moving here. I'd let it go for $200 if you're interested, I paid around $700 or so. I'm ~5"8' 160. Would be a good fit.

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Electrical stuff is voodoo black magic to me
  • Ride: '11 OBP GR STi
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:09 am »
I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, but figured I'd throw this question out there --- is it realistically possible to find a good beginner snowboarding setup for ~$600? Like board, bindings, boots etc.  Are any of the brands SportChek carries any good, or should I be looking at the specific ski & board shops?  Can anyone point me in the right direction? :)  Maybe I'll invest in some gear and buy a few day passes out this season somewhere! :D I've been out about 5 times in my life and always really enjoyed it..

Yeah that's possible. They all work together so find a good shop that knows how to fit. Try on as many different brands of boots as you can, they all have different pinch points, heel width, toe width, arch support, ankle support, etc. I would argue maybe even getting really good boots and then used/cheap board/bindings until you figure out your style and what you like to ride (mountain vs park).

When you do decide to buy some serious gear, remember that money doesn't really equate to quality. Something mid-range is better value, also, last year's stuff isn't bad at all.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 01:43:40 pm »
Kinda bummed I'm out of the country, but can't complain cause I'm laying on a beach.

Has nobody hit up all the powder at sunshine? My buddies have been sending me some ridiculous photos/vids! Said they got another 25cm last night.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »
Going to be hiking Apex on Sunday afternoon, try to get a couple laps in. Up until today I haven't been all that bothered about snowboarding, but after all this snow, I'm stoked!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 07:45:58 pm »
Making the trip down to Revelstoke next weekend for opening day with a few friends I haven't ridden with in years. Beyond excited! Just bought some new gear as well for the trip, a pair of Electric EG3.5 goggles with red chrome lenses and an Airblaster ninja suit. I'm really having a hard time resisting buying a new board as well, I want something a little more all mountain/park than my LibTech El Nina which is an amazing board in powder and softer conditions but shows it weaknesses when its hard pack and my other boards are killed.

Offline RhinestoneChow

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: WRX STI
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
I'm hoping to make a trip to Revelstoke during Christmas break with some friends. Hit up Louise, it was my first time in 3 season and I was so rusty. New setup made it a lot harder going through all that powder... Hopefully I'll be going again this weekend!

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:28:38 pm »
Heading to Revelstoke opening weekend with one other friend, if anyone needs a ride.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 10:28:39 am »
Heading to Revelstoke opening weekend with one other friend, if anyone needs a ride.
Was it this weekend? If so, how were the conditions?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 10:44:53 am »
Was it this weekend? If so, how were the conditions?

Next weekend. Phenomenal I bet. I'm going too lgt, let's hang out.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 11:28:19 am »
If something happens to my car between now and then I'll take you up on that lol.  I'm planning on driving to Calgary Friday morning and heading down with friends from there.
And if you plan on riding both days buy your tickets online. Regular price is $84 plus tax but I bought tickets for the 28th and 29th on the website for $104 plus tax last week.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
Sure. We are taking the Tacoma so plenty of space.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »
Sure. We are taking the Tacoma so plenty of space.

Lol, I may bail on speeders for this lol. What day are you going, or are you going overnight?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 05:48:09 pm »
First turns of the year went down today. Hiked Apex and got first tracks all the way to the bottom. Epic! No pics of the actual riding… too busy snowboarding.

IMG_2574 by Evan Jones, on Flickr

IMG_2575 by Evan Jones, on Flickr

IMG_2576 by Evan Jones, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
lake Louise Wednesday

My 120cm underfoot prior overlords fighting to float

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:53 am »
oh man i hate you so much right now.  soooooo much snow......

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:08 am »
oh man i hate you so much right now.  soooooo much snow......

You have to come out this winter and check out Apex. And meet our little guy (he'll be here soon!).
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 11:02:52 am »
Lol, I may bail on speeders for this lol. What day are you going, or are you going overnight?

Friday night-Sunday.

Offline RhinestoneChow

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: WRX STI
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »
Hit up Louise again yesterday, all the waist deep powder I experienced last weekend was all ridden over or groomed. :(

On a positive note the lifts were running smoothly and had next to no lines. I basically doubled the amount of riding over last weekend. Also got my Revelstoke trip during Christmas booked!

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 11:25:58 am »
Last call for anyone who needs a ride this weekend, we leave late Friday afternoon.