Author Topic: Finally into a subaru!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: slow
Finally into a subaru!
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
What's going on everyone, doesn't seem too busy here anymore but just thought i'd join anyways!

I've never owned a Subaru but should be the owner of a '13 STi sedan Sport Tech pretty soon here.  I'm purchasing it off of my very good friends who's now into a new work truck, so it was more of an opportunity purchase for me as I wasn't really even in the market for a car at all.

It has been a while since i've been in a fun car, i used to have a 2004 Suzuka Blue S2000 until i sold that in 2013.  I was in a 2010 GTI Stage 1 APR after for a few months until i found out i would be a father and sold that to get a CX-5 and a Rav 4 which are our 2 current cars.  When my friend put up his STi for sale i inquired about it jokingly and he said he'd let me have it for a great deal...with our son being a bit older and front-facing now in the car seat, wifey was on board with bringing a fun car back into the garage.  With it being my friends car and him not driving it at the moment, he was kind enough to let me take it for an extended "test drive", and over the course of a couple weeks see how it was to live with daily and how it worked for the family.  I would have to say it's been a while since i've been in a car like that, but it's actually pretty versatile with its day to day abilities here in Edmonton.  He's got pretty much the standard go-fast stuff in there already and has kept it all pretty tasteful, im pretty happy to drive it as-is at the moment.  Looking forward to being part of the subie family now :)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: Finally into a subaru!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:09 am »
Congrats on the purchase and into the Subaru family.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:45 am »
Congrats & Welcome!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:07 am »
Welcome! Nice repertoire of cars. Your sedan should do rear facing with minimal problems too, unless your passenger has really long legs.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Psycho Mike

• Stubbly Faced
    • My 2018 Ride to Conquer Cancer Participant Page
  • Ride: '98 JDM Fozzy SF5
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:41:09 am »
Welcome!  Sounds like a good find...hopefully it works and you can get it for a good price. The Subie AWD is sure nice in the snow we have in YEG at the moment ;)
Just another Subie pilot :)

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »
Congrats and welcome!
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »
Congrats on the acquisition! Welcome to the forums!

Also, pics. We like pics ;D
I occasionally stream games on Twitch

DaDuke99

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:48:00 pm »
Pictures for sure! Congrats, and welcome to the forums!

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 01:48:11 pm »
Welcome! Nice repertoire of cars. Your sedan should do rear facing with minimal problems too, unless your passenger has really long legs.
Yup!  if a 2nd child comes into the mix it wouldn't be a problem keeping this around.  We were realizing that even with my Rav, i was still only doing short trips on a minimal number of days carrying around our son.   For weekend family outings and what not we would still have the CX-5 anyways so i think we're covered in that aspect!

Welcome!  Sounds like a good find...hopefully it works and you can get it for a good price. The Subie AWD is sure nice in the snow we have in YEG at the moment ;)
It's my very good friend of 15 years selling (he was my best man at my wedding) so i think the price is pretty fair!  it's lower than any comparable one available right now anyways and pretty much around black book trade in value....so i'm happy in that regard.

Congrats on the acquisition! Welcome to the forums!

Also, pics. We like pics ;D

I haven't taken any of my own, but here are some that he's taken before.  I don't plan to change much but re-powdering the wheels would be something to consider down the line.  Don't mind the current powder, but im partial to white....

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:07:18 pm »
OK, now that we've seen pics, I need to know what the go fast bits are. 

Good looking car.  I agree with getting new colours for the wheels.  It doesn't quite match with the blue flaps. 

Looks clean!

DaDuke99

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »
 Or just get red flaps! Red all the things!!!

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 11:36:42 am »
OK, now that we've seen pics, I need to know what the go fast bits are. 

Good looking car.  I agree with getting new colours for the wheels.  It doesn't quite match with the blue flaps. 

Looks clean!

just by going with what i know of and that was in his FS ad:

-Cobb V2 Stage 2+SF
-Tomei ExtremeTi DP
-Invidia Q300
-Tomei Inlet hose
-SF intake + airbox
-Perrin Lightweight pulley
-Cusco Catch can
-Cobb Turbo Heatshield
-Kartboy SS
-Stoptech rotors & hawk pads

and some other little cosmetic bits & pieces.  I'm not sure i would be doing anything to it power wise other than finally bringing it to airboy, he had always meant to but just never got around to it, but it would be something on my list for sure.  Im pretty happy with it all around as-is, minus the stock pioneer 9310....

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 11:49:32 am »
Im pretty happy with it all around as-is, minus the stock pioneer 9310....

If you plan on replacing this, please let me know. I may be interested in taking it off your hands.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 12:48:59 pm »
Welcome!! I dig that fairing on the roof bars. Never seen one like that on a GV before tbh.

And as usual, SWP ftw.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 10:51:07 am »
So now that i'm the official owner i've already had to replace the front left turn signal which im glad was actually fairly easy, and a bolt on the inno fairing.  Next up on the list is an impending oil change.  I've done my google searching but am curious to know what people in our local climate are into.  I'm approaching 6K km on this current oil, and my friend told me it is currently motul 5w-40. 

I know the manual calls for 10K OCI's but of course i don't mind doing it sooner.  Some of the oil i have been a fan of in the past using, Pennzoil Platinum in the s2000, and german castrol 0W-30 has always been good too.  I see that pennzoil Ultra is on sale right now for $31, and theres actually $10 online rebates to be had...great price for that oil, but it only can come in 5W-30.  I tried to lookup some UOA's for it and only finding some older stuff and on WRX's.  Anybody here running PU 5W-30 and for how long, would it be an acceptable oil or should i stick with a 40 weight?  Also...are STi's picky about filter?  I've read about getting the RX8 filter, i don't mind doing that, or just going with an M1 filter, or OEM etc.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:08 am »
A lot of us run Rotella T6.  It's diesel oil but our engines like it.  0w-40 for winter. 

NAPA Gold filters are good.  OEM is fine.  RX8 filters have extra volume. 

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 11:45:32 am »
A lot of us run Rotella T6.  It's diesel oil but our engines like it.  0w-40 for winter. 

NAPA Gold filters are good.  OEM is fine.  RX8 filters have extra volume.

I've definitely seen the T6 references for sure, nice that it comes in a 0W-40.  Perhaps i'll give that a go

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »
For any turbo Subaru I would rather recommend any good synth blend in a 40wt. I'd rather my 40wt shear down into a 30wt rather than a 30wt shearing down to worse. I personally run Motul with a 5000km OCI. My motor is older and in proper cold of winter, Motul seems fine; the cranking isn't unbearably long or slow sounding. I am entertaining the idea of going to T6 0-40W to see what it's like on my next change, then going back to Motul for summer.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline hunts_13

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2016 WRX
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »

I see that pennzoil Ultra is on sale right now for $31, and theres actually $10 online rebates to be had...great price for that oil, but it only can come in 5W-30.

Yeah the Pennzoil platinum Ultra only comes in  0w40, 5w20 and 5w30.
Would have to go to the Platinum Euro to get it in a 5w40.