Author Topic: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero (+2005 RB2) (+2014 Tundra) (+Grand Cherokee)  (Read 12105 times)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2019, 09:26:08 am »
I'm still trying to figure out what swoll means
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2019, 10:27:24 am »
I'm still trying to figure out what swole means
Repent DYEL peasant.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2019, 12:23:39 am »
Repent DYEL peasant.

Wait, Star Trek isn't overrated!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2019, 11:52:59 am »
Welp! Time for some overdue scheduled maintenance. Right now it is at approximately 99,000km and still had the factory timing belt (which is 20 years old at this point).

Yesterday new timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner, cam and crank seals, water pump, accessory belts, and radiator hoses went on. As well as the revised crank bolt (old ones have an issue with backing out).

Didn't get many pictures, but I will feel a lot more comfortable driving it around now. I looked at the belt when I first got it and it still seemed pretty good, but nice to have peace of mind.

And, first actual "issue" since ownership! (I have put on approximately 22,000km).

Power steering pump seal is starting to leak, have a new rebuilt kit on the way (30$).
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2019, 10:13:42 am »

100,000 km update. Still has been rock solid.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:20 pm »
Few things happened this weekend.

Remember all that flushing of the rad I did? Well like 11-12 flushes and it was still pretty rusty. Lent the truck to my buddy for the weekend and he hooked it up to the rad cleaning machine at work.

The aftermath is some squeaky clean coolant!

He also hooked it up to the intake service machine to clean up the likely caked up valves.

Honestly I have noticed the truck runs smoother and the throttle is more responsive.

With all that done, I would say that the maintenance is entirely up to date!

Please enjoy this picture of how glossy the Sonax is still holding up:

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2019, 11:35:10 am »
Truck was pretty far north!

Yes, that is a beaver. So yes, that is Canadian AF.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:41 am »
Not much to report, I think it is at 107,000 km right now. Here are some pics:

Went to an abandoned town "Pine Point," it was pretty cool.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2019, 02:18:29 pm »
Mostly just maintenance, oil changes etc. I did buy a 360 degree nozzle for fluid film and sprayed fluid film all in the frame before winter in hopes of further thwarting some rust.

Stock wheel / tire weight

Summer set up weight. 285/75/16 BFG KM3's

The winter tires just look so lame and small now.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2019, 10:01:54 am »
Update: Moroso oil heater stopped working last year (first year since installation). I went and got the 250W canadian tire one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2020, 10:42:44 am »
Did some more maintenance.

Finally got around to tackling the spark plugs, I had read that the intake manifold would need to be removed in order to do the right bank, but on the GDI turns out just the throttle body needed to be removed. When I got the truck I ordered spark plugs before it showed up, then when it got there I realized I needed a throttle body gasket, just looking at it as the throttle body would for sure have to come off. So I ordered that, when that came in I looked at a how-to and people were talking about removing the intake manifold, so I ordered the plenum gaskets, when those came in, I finally got around to tackling it... over a year later. The truck still had the factory spark plugs, which at this point are 21 years old and had 119,000 km (FSM wants them replaced every 80,000km).

I am likely going to block those EGR valves and see what it does. Being old, and GDI, the throttle body was pretty clean, but the back side of the throttle plate and inside the intake manifold had some carbon build up. I have been using a can of sea-foam top end cleaner at every second oil change, and that has made some impacts you can see, but at this point I might try and get set up to do walnut blasting and take the intake manifold off in the summer, and inspect and blast the valves.

Old plugs, they have had a pretty tough last few months of winter. Where I have been working it has been basically consistently -30 or below. It doesn't love to start in that with just the oil pan heater, and when I left it unplugged one time it would not start when it was -36, and I really flooded the itshay out of it and killed the battery lol. It really had a tough time starting and running immediately following that, the idle surging was crazy and I may have triggered an idle relearn in -36 with a flooded truck. I am hoping this has to do with the amount of soot on the plugs, or maybe that is just how a GDI plug looks after 119,000km and 21 years. The back two plugs on both sides of the engine were pretty scary to remove. They spun out 1/4 turn and bound up, both of them. I sprayed the itshay out of them with penetrating lubricant (the two plugs that look wet), left if a few minutes, and worked the plugs back and forth until they were smooth as eggs, but it was still nerve racking.

The spark plug tubes are very skinny, I will likely order a smaller spark plug socket, but for now I had to make due. The intake manifold wasn't installed true, so there is a small offset on the top side between the spark plug tubes and the intake manifold (where the coil packs mount). I had to grind down this socket to snake it through that, which worked and saved me from removing the intake manifold.

Next job was the microfilter on the high pressure fuel pump. What a pain. It was on the back of the engine, and it isn't even listed in service manuals as existing, but some guys have worked it out that this is a potential cause for issues on the GDI engines.

Where flash light is pointing, exists this:

It is about 6" down the back side of the engine, you have to crawl all over the truck to get to it, and I dented the top of my radiator with my knee during this process. You need to remove those two little bolts (10 mm with the Phillips head) and pull out the fuel line, then take a screw, screw it into the existing filter, and remove that. Followed by tapping the new filter in. This is all happening in a space with next to no room, where anything you drop falls into the abyss. Luckily I ordered two microfilters, and I dropped the first one and couldn't find it anywhere.

This little jasper.

Also replaced these bits. For whatever reason, missing all that on the fuse box is very common.

I also replaced these rusty fasteners on the windshield cowl, they just looked so out of place.

I don't know if it was the plugs, or microfilter, or cleaning the throttle body but it seems to idle a whole lot smoother now.

I will probably look at installing an inline coolant heater as well.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2020, 01:15:17 pm »
What is this, a fuel filter for ants?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2020, 01:21:50 pm »
What is this, a fuel filter for ants?

Yeah, I don't know it seems weird. It is on the inlet from the fuel pump to the high pressure fuel pump. And the truck also has a normal, full sized fuel filter on the frame rail which I have also replaced.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2020, 12:17:57 pm »
if I had to guess, the high pressure fuel pump is a gear positive displacement pump while the normal pump is a vane or centrifugal pump. The normal fuel filter is supposed to protect everything, but if anything gets past it, it will grenade the HPFP which I would assume costs a million dollars. So the tiny thing is a last ditch safety factor put in at the last minute by engineers after a failure analysis on a HPFP revealed that a single layer of protection was not enough.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2020, 01:15:54 pm »
if I had to guess, the high pressure fuel pump is a gear positive displacement pump while the normal pump is a vane or centrifugal pump. The normal fuel filter is supposed to protect everything, but if anything gets past it, it will grenade the HPFP which I would assume costs a million dollars. So the tiny thing is a last ditch safety factor put in at the last minute by engineers after a failure analysis on a HPFP revealed that a single layer of protection was not enough.

Basically what I was thinking as well. Some guys said they just removed them and I am like uhhhhhh, nah.

Also, while uckfaying with the screw in the filter I was considering just how difficult changing the HPFP in situ would be...

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2020, 04:10:10 pm »
Update, started yesterday in -41. Will not start today (-38?). Fun.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2020, 10:37:08 am »
Finally got it to a garage, pulled plugs, cleaned them, re-installed them, changed the fuel filled oil, fired right up. Peep the fuel that came out of the exhaust.

Inline coolant heater en-route to try and help this from not happening again.

I might have tried turning it over after it was already flooded a bit too much  ::)

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:01 am »
At least all the fuel sitting there ate away at some of the carbon build up.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2020, 11:30:32 am »
At least all the fuel sitting there ate away at some of the carbon build up.

Now that is some positive thinking, can chalk this up as a maintenance item. I have been thinking of getting set up for some walnut blasting of the valves and intake manifold.

I've also ordered stock, multi-ground plugs after consulting with some peeps and finding this NGK video:

Unsure if this had anything to do with my issue, pretty sure it was just that it was -41, -52 with the wind and probably in that amount of wind and cold my little 250w oil pan heater didn't have much of a shot at warming up the engine... but I was surprised at the amount of carbon fouling on my fresh iridium single ground plugs. When we ordered these, the stock plugs are out of production and they were marked as a replacement (on Amayama, Partsouq) etc, now my thinking is that Mitsubishi used a multi ground plug for a reason (I didn't know they were multi-ground until we removed them) and that it won't hurt to replace them... especially on my 3rd go at them I can probably finish swapping the plugs in under an hour. Particularly with carbon fouling.

"The gasoline direct injection version of the 6G74 was launched in April 1997 as the first GDI V6 engine ever produced. It differed from the basic 6G74 in many ways apart from its unique fuel injection system — it had a crown-curved rather than flat piston head, upright intake ports rather than angled, and a 10.4:1 rather than 10.0:1 compression ratio. Mitsubishi claimed 30 percent better fuel economy, a 30 percent reduction in emissions, and higher power outputs than diesels.[4]"

That crown curved piston is there to swirl the air / fuel charge and make it more homogeneous mixture... in my stupid head maybe this swirling mixture has more likelihood of fueling the spark plugs on those extreme cold starts and single ground strap might further that.. but likely it makes no difference. Problem being fuel hitting metal that is -38 and not wanting to then atomize, also in my stupid head. Fuel still goes in with air then gets compressed in a multi port injection engine so really, probably makes no difference.

Mostly, this will be a make work job that might make me feel a little more confident, coupled with the coolant heater, in cold start abilities. That said, it started in those temps probably 19/20 times this winter.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 10:54:14 am »
Weighed the racetank/fat-jero.

You know, suddenly 11-13L/100 km out of a 21 year old truck shaped like a shoe-box with bulgy fenders lugging around 5100 lbs seems pretty decent.

This was with me in it (215lbs), my winter emergency bag (variety of fluids, road flares, receiver, tow rope, winter clothes, etc [approximately 70 lbs]), and my tool kit I keep in the truck (just like a 246 piece stanley and my tool pouch with my hand tools from my electrical days[approximately 60 lbs of tools]). Full tank of fuel as well (97 L tank).

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2020, 09:45:59 pm »
What inline heater have you decided on? I've seen a lot of them but they all feel like they're not really easy to fit to a "car."

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2020, 03:17:48 pm »
What inline heater have you decided on? I've seen a lot of them but they all feel like they're not really easy to fit to a "car."

Not even sure of the brand, since it got shipped to me in a smaller packaging from bro bro, it was removed from original packaging.. looks like this:

And then, when I went to install I noticed what I should have clued into before even ordering, that the thermostat is actually on the lower rad on Fatjero:

So, I asked a couple bros what they would do. I also noticed that after driving for 20 minutes, and then parking it in garage to do the actual work that the upper hose was hot (which makes sense). I googled, not much came up for Pajero, but found a lot of Land Cruiser guys discussing the same issue, that the thermostat is on the lower hose but it still "seems" to work. Reports that it never fully seals and blah blah. When installing the new thermostat previously, I did notice on the new ones there a couple little holes that never fully close. Looked at parts schematics where things go..

Anyways, what did I do? Decided I should just take it to a shop and have a block heater put in while I am away for work. For now, I installed it in the upper rad hose. Not sure if that was the right move or not. Seems to make sense to me.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2020, 05:03:49 pm »

Let me tell you why that was a stupid plan. Yes! Warms that whole pipe as far back as you can touch it, warms up the radiator pretty well also!

But, it also warms up the coolant temperature sensor, and the truck doesn't know how to start.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2020, 03:05:43 pm »
Usually there's a tstat bypass that gets the heater core involved. Does that little heater actually move coolant or does it rely on convective forces? Don't see why the cts wouldn't heat up in any place you put it.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2020, 11:11:57 am »
Usually there's a tstat bypass that gets the heater core involved. Does that little heater actually move coolant or does it rely on convective forces? Don't see why the cts wouldn't heat up in any place you put it.

It doesn't actually move the coolant, just heats what is in the thing then conduction / convection created through that heating. Going to abandon that whole plan and just do the thing I should have done when I got the truck originally and install an actual proper block heater in a frost plug. Mitsubishi recommends right-rear frost plug, which I agree with you, seems will still heat that coolant temperature sensor. But, maybe with some actual heat into the engine it it will actually more reflect the temperature of the engine.

All I know, is I tried to test that upper rad hose heater when it wasn't even that cold, like -20 when the truck has no issues starting not plugged in, and it just wouldn't start. Turned over and wouldn't fire, coolant temp on the dash was reading operating temperature. I thought oh, doesn't know how to start since the engine is still cold, unplugged that heater, waited an hour, went and tried again when the coolant temp had returned to cold and it fired right up.