Author Topic: 2019 Formula 1  (Read 15814 times)

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
Re: 2019 Formula 1
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
Thought about it some more and Haas really needs a good driver, the car is not reaching its full potential. Romain is a great driver when he is on but he is soooo inconsistent even with the same race.
If Grosjean was consistent, he would be the next gen Trulli. He would consistently qualify very well and then just back up all the cars behind him. When he's on, he's super quick. He's looking better this season, but still not quite fast enough. That said, he's had several seasons now to prove his worth and hasn't really demonstrated a lot. No shortage of drivers waiting to get their chance.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:59 pm »
If Grosjean was consistent, he would be the next gen Trulli. He would consistently qualify very well and then just back up all the cars behind him. When he's on, he's super quick. He's looking better this season, but still not quite fast enough. That said, he's had several seasons now to prove his worth and hasn't really demonstrated a lot. No shortage of drivers waiting to get their chance.

I like that comparison, Lol. I was actually a Trulli fan (sort of) but he never lived up to the hype either, but a notch above Romain for sure. He had quite a few podiums and a win at Monaco so yeah, if Grosjean did that I could totally see it.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:53 pm »
If Grosjean was consistent, he would be the next gen Trulli.

Utter savage, but a good comparo. Love it. #trullitrain
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:26 am »
French GP. Holy hell. What a snoozefest.

Only real discussion point: How is Haas going BACKWARDS in terms of performance? I really don't think the entire rest of the pack has improved by a huge margin, but yet Haas is basically fighting with Williams at this point.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:42 am »
French GP. Holy hell.

Wut?  Did I miss something exciting?

What a snoozefest.

Ah Ok.  I marked my final exams while watching the race.  Didn't really pay attention once Ham had a 12 second lead over Bottas.  Bottas needs to eat more porridge.  Felt bad for Norris.  Feel bad for Ric, but, what was he thinking to go off track? 

Super super cool non-spoiler pic on IG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzEWlNlivDo/
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2019, 12:54:53 pm »
Felt bad for Norris.
I have no doubt he'll get more chances. McLaren has come a long way, and he's a pretty promising young talent. Hopefully McLaren has learned a bit from its past and won't release him at the end of the year in spite of his results like Perez, Magnussen, Vandoorne....

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2019, 01:12:39 pm »
Only real discussion point: How is Haas going BACKWARDS in terms of performance? I really don't think the entire rest of the pack has improved by a huge margin, but yet Haas is basically fighting with Williams at this point.

I think the mid-pack was sooo close and they did little to no improvements plus whats the point with new rules (save R&D money maybe?), plus their driver line-up blows. I have a 1/2 dozen drivers I'd like to see Ocon, Vandoorne, few guys from F2 but contracts seem to make it hard to figure out.

Felt bad for Norris.  Feel bad for Ric, but, what was he thinking to go off track? 

I think Norris has been fantastic but that hydraulic issue was bugging the car all weekend.
Ric went for and I think from what he said he has no regrets, Norris was in limp mode and time was running out.
Ric is for sure a top driver in F1, kinda wish he stayed at RB for now, Renault might be a good seat next couple yrs though.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:21 pm »
Ric went for and I think from what he said he has no regrets, Norris was in limp mode and time was running out.

Ah, I meant Ric vs. Raik on the straight. 

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »

Fair enough but imo, and from what I gathered post race it was all sort of one sequence and he was more focused on the maneuvering than where the track was. P-R is horrible for that with it's damn blue lines, guys were having Q runs disallowed because of it.

https://grandpx.news/tricky-blue-lines-at-paul-ricard-irk-f1-drivers/

EDIT: Fyi Ric got 2 time penalties, one for blocking Norris and the other for the Raik. incident. So 10 secs total.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2019, 04:14:21 pm »

Honestly, had Kimi not nudged his way over and allowed Ric to keep his left tires on the line, it would have been a great move. No fault to Kimi obviously, as he was entitled to that space, but it was definitely worth Ric having a go at it, I think.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2019, 04:00:41 pm »
Ahahahahahahahaha

https://jalopnik.com/haas-f1-sponsor-rich-energy-denied-appeal-after-losing-1835947104

Maybe they can get K-Mag to tell 'em to suck his balls.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2019, 06:05:37 pm »
Got to meet Bottas a few weeks back, he's a really nice guy.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2019, 08:46:02 am »
Bitchin' race on Sunday. It would be quite something if the heat wave in Europe was Merc's downfall for a chunk of the season. But hey, if it produces better racing, I'm not going to complain! Great to finally see results from McLaren, and Alfa/Sauber, (SPOILER) not to mention Honda finally successful again8)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2019, 11:39:32 am »
I was out of town, but based on the highlights that I saw I think i'm going to sit down and actually watch this entire race. Seemed to have been pretty decent actually!

Gasly's seat must be burning right now though... I really am curious what happens with that seat within the next little bit here. Perhaps a change after summer break? Maybe after the season is over? I just can't see him sticking around if i'm being honest.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2019, 12:12:50 pm »
(SPOILER)

Should be just a permanent spoiler on the thread title imo

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2019, 12:32:24 pm »
Should be just a permanent spoiler on the thread title imo
See the first post

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2019, 12:53:35 pm »
See the first post

Thanks I went to the center for kids who cant read good and want to learn how to do other stuff good too.

I meant the thread title you click on, not on a lot of other forums except for sports stuff and they do this:

Re: 2019 Formula 1 - SPOILERS

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
Thanks I went to the center for kids who cant read good and want to learn how to do other stuff good too.

I meant the thread title you click on, not on a lot of other forums except for sports stuff and they do this:

Re: 2019 Formula 1 - SPOILERS

Hey, if you come into Rathburns Formula 1 World Championship Extravaganza ThreadTM and are worried about spoilers, you haven't visited Rathburns Formula 1 World Championship Extravaganza ThreadTM enough times. Even Kimi Raikkonen gives his own person endorsement:

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2019, 04:09:19 pm »
Even Kimi Raikkonen gives his own person endorsement:

Oh well whatcha gonna do

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »
Finally caught up. I'm pro-Vettel getting penalty in Canada. It was the letter of the law, and the stewards need to consistently call the letter of the law. It's a sport, not a popularity tv show.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48583803

France was boring, I was told to watch the first 5-10 laps, and the last 5 laps. Was not disappointed with those tips. Some good moves from Ricciardo, but thanks to those lines, it didn't pay off.

Austria was fantastic. Verstappen is still a fantastic driver, and I think I'm finally starting to hate him less, which is good, because I have a ton of RB swag in my closet. Hard to see Leclerc lose out on another potential win, as I'm a huge fan of his, but I think Verstappen earned that spot, even after the rough start of the race. Nice to see Vettel actually pass a Mercedes, without breaking down to pressure.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2019, 09:27:05 pm »
It's a sport, not a popularity tv show.
I disagree, F1 is k-pop for middle aged white people. Vettel-kun is too pure for this world and you will not besmirch him.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2019, 10:28:56 pm »
Austria was fantastic. Verstappen is still a fantastic driver, and I think I'm finally starting to hate him less, which is good, because I have a ton of RB swag in my closet. Hard to see Leclerc lose out on another potential win, as I'm a huge fan of his, but I think Verstappen earned that spot, even after the rough start of the race. Nice to see Vettel actually pass a Mercedes, without breaking down to pressure.

I am also liking Verstap more this season; his behaviour on and off the track is less obnoxious and less entitled.  He certainly deserved that win.  Leclerc deserved that win too.  Ferrari just had the wrong tire strategy and he had no tires to fight with in the end.  Gasley is getting wrecked.

Vettel passed because there was no pressure from Mercedes...  They had to coast to keep their engine temperatures down...  AND WHAT A RACE THAT MADE IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!  I was on the edge of my seat! 

On the topic of Vettel vs Canada, I've changed my position from hard disagree to, yeah ok maybe.  Palmer did an amazing analysis (as are all his analysis'), breaks down everything Vettel did to deserve the penalty and provides two other examples from recent history to back up the stewards decision:

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2019, 07:42:19 am »
the stewards need to consistently call the letter of the law

Biggest problem right there, stewards are very inconsistent. Either let it be a racing incident all the time unless there is damage/ contact or whatever, or always call to the letter of the law.

Personally, I would rather see more stuff be left as "racing incident".

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2019, 09:08:32 am »

I have never been a big Verstappen fan, mostly because of the attitude, stuff like brazil last year where he went off on Ocon but deserved some of the blame as well, but damn he is winning me over this year. He might be the best driver in F1, I think Leclerc is okay but tires or not, Max is miles ahead of him. To be honest I think there are at least 3 or 4 drivers that deserve that seat over Leclerc but unless you gave everyone identical cars it is hard to say. The Ferrari was the car to beat at Austria, that's for sure and Max did it.

On the topic of Vettel vs Canada, I've changed my position from hard disagree to, yeah ok maybe.  Palmer did an amazing analysis (as are all his analysis'), breaks down everything Vettel did to deserve the penalty and provides two other examples from recent history to back up the stewards decision:

Yeah, I think we all get blinded by the I don't want Hamiton to win idea. Vettel went off the track, impeded Ham, I think it was fairly cut and dry. My point on that particular corner in Mtl stands though, they need to push the barrier back and pave the runoff. That corner has been same since I can remember watching back in the early-mid 90s and really doesn't fit the modern design updates.