Author Topic: 2019 Formula 1  (Read 15791 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: 2019 Formula 1
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2019, 04:06:57 pm »
Disagree, he's the type of guy to just say: "no, I wasn't on form due to illness, cut out all my scenes". It's not like they would show him in the garage cryin' ruth anyways, it doesn't fit with the show.

Lewis is fully about his image, and having his scenes cut out is exactly what I would expect from him. Guy wanted to retire the car when it was clear that he wasn't gonna be able to contend anymore and, lo and behold, 2 cars get the ole' DSQ and he's up into 9th in the points. It's a very Hamilton thing to do.

You certainly have a great points on that... It would truly suck to have him do it, but I mean we can all hope that it isn't the case. It's a part of the sport, and I think having the raw/behind the scenes footage is what brought so much attention to the Netflix series in the first place.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2019, 07:34:01 am »
It's a part of the sport, and I think having the raw/behind the scenes footage is what brought so much attention to the Netflix series in the first place.

I fully agree with that.

I also hope that it's not the case that he would pull away from the Netflix stuff due to one poor performance, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. I still don't like the guy, and as much as it pains me to say: he will absolutely go down as one of the greats of Formula 1, so he doesn't really need to worry about how one show will affect him.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2019, 08:24:04 am »
I fully agree with that.

I also hope that it's not the case that he would pull away from the Netflix stuff due to one poor performance, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. I still don't like the guy, and as much as it pains me to say: he will absolutely go down as one of the greats of Formula 1, so he doesn't really need to worry about how one show will affect him.

This is the Hamilton paradox. His "outside of F1" image is very carefully crafted and portrayed...probably in order to maximize his sponsorship exposure sort of desire to have a larger than life image. Still a itchbay move though.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2019, 08:44:30 am »
This is the Hamilton paradox. His "outside of F1" image is very carefully crafted and portrayed...probably in order to maximize his sponsorship exposure sort of desire to have a larger than life image. Still a itchbay move though.

Gotta keep that Tommy Hilfiger money flowin'.

Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2019, 11:55:17 am »
Damn, and I thought that Jalopnik article was biased lol.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »
Horner/Marko: Max isn't going anywhere. His exit clause expires this weekend, so the chance is like 1% that he goes elsewhere.
Media: Max relishes the chance to be Lewis' teammate in 2020!

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:26 am »
Refreshing to see a good battle for the lead. When Lewis and Max were both on hard tires, it was really top notch driving, and they were both so far ahead of the pack despite racing for position. Excellent strategy by Mercedes. Good weekend for McLaren.

And now we engage in full silly season because the summer break is too long! So who's getting Gasly's seat??

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2019, 01:34:34 pm »
So who's getting Gasly's seat??

Bottas.

Jk.

Either Kvyat or Albon, but I'm thinking the former.

That really was a good fight between them before Ham pitted. Great defending by Verstappen, and great attitude from him at the end of the race too. I'm really becoming a fan.

The quick battle between Kvyat and Albon was good driving too.

What happened to Grosjean?  I missed that part.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2019, 11:31:31 am »
I find this both intriguing but also kind of smart.

They saw how Gasly performed, they know how Kvyat performed (both a few years back and now), so they're giving Albon a shot and then deciding what to do after the season is over.

If I had to guess, i'd say that Kvyat will still be in that seat come the beginning of 2020.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:50 am »
If I had to guess, i'd say that Kvyat will still be in that seat come the beginning of 2020.
I'm actually curious if RBR would be able to lure one of their old drivers back. Vettel has to be getting frustrated at Ferrari and Max is starting to demonstrate how good the RBR package is. Ricciardo is either in it for the long haul @ Renault or he is kicking himself hard.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:36 am »
Ricciardo is either in it for the long haul @ Renault or he is kicking himself hard.

Maybe...  He's pretty competitive but might still be finding (more) satisfaction with Renault.  He seems less edgy in any case.  Also, 50 million. 

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2019, 09:57:14 am »
Also, Ricciardo has never really been an aggressive driver. You can see a noticeable difference when starts at the back of the pack vs Verstappen or Hamilton. I love Ricciardo, but he's far more passive than either of those two.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2019, 10:11:04 am »
Also, Ricciardo has never really been an aggressive driver. You can see a noticeable difference when starts at the back of the pack vs Verstappen or Hamilton. I love Ricciardo, but he's far more passive than either of those two.

I would say that it's less aggression and it's more to do with risk management. Ricciardo is one of the best on the brakes in Formula 1 right now, some of the best passes I have seen are him late braking into corners. He won't take the same kind of risks that other drivers take when passing. It was like that when he was behind KMag and he would move around when braking in front of him, some drivers would have pursued the line and bumped him, where he wouldn't.

I also feel that the level of driver aggression is quite high right now in Formula 1 and he looks less aggessive when making those comparisons.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2019, 04:05:46 pm »
My mid/silly season thoughts (Basically 2020 driver line-ups)
Spoiler: Fairly boring but we have 2 Canadians in F1, yay; sorta as they drive for crap teams.

Alfa Romeo
Kimi Räikkönen
Antonio Giovinazzi (Keeping the seat warm for Mick S.)

Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel (Last season before retirement?)
Charles Leclerc

Haas
Kevin Magnussen
Valtteri Bottas (Hottest seat in F1; either Ocon or Bottas here, Grosjean out of F1)

McLaren-Renault
Lando Norris
Carlos Sainz Jr.

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Estaban Ocon

Red Bull Racing
Max Verstappen
Alex Albon (Depends on 2nd half of 2019; Kvyat’s seat if Albon fails, then he goes back TR)

Toro Rosso
Daniil Kvyat (Doesn’t want to be here but has no choice)   
Pierre Gasly (RB likes to promote their own and Patricio O'Ward is not ready; Gasly is on thin ice)

Renault
Daniel Ricciardo
Nico Hülkenberg

Williams
George Russell
Nicholas Latifi (Kubica out; doesn’t belong in F1)

Racing Point
Sergio Perez (Wants to see if a top or top-mid will sign him, but no options for 2020)
Lance Stroll

Main Points
Ocon to Merc, Bottas only choice is take Haas open seat
Grosjean and Kubica out of F1 with Lafiti & Ocon coming in/back in
RB and TR play musical chairs some more, maybe?
Otherwise silly season is fairly boring, I think next year before the 2021 cars will see big changes.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2019, 07:54:00 am »

Grosjean and Kubica out of F1

RB and TR play musical chairs some more, maybe?
Otherwise silly season is fairly boring, I think next year before the 2021 cars will see big changes.

Agreed on these points.

Not 100% sure on Ocon replacing Bottas. I know Merc has spent a bunch on Ocon, but unless he's world champ material, is he really that much better than Bottas? I think it's highly likely that one of them will be in a Haas next year beside K-Mag though.

I also agree that Latifi is probably the next likely rookie to come up to F1. Ticktum uckfayed himself out of Gaslys seat because he's a huge untcay. Sean Galael or Juri Vips are probably next in line for STR when Gasly slips up. Mick probably has another year in F2 before he replaces Gio at Alfa.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2019, 08:17:24 am »
Bottas is far too good of a second driver, for far too cheap, to drop from Mercedes. Should Ocon get a seat? Absolutely. Should he replace Bottas? Not a chance. Bottas is still second in the championship right now. Why would you drop that from your lineup?
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2019, 10:22:00 am »
Bottas is far too good of a second driver, for far too cheap, to drop from Mercedes. Should Ocon get a seat? Absolutely. Should he replace Bottas? Not a chance. Bottas is still second in the championship right now. Why would you drop that from your lineup?

I wrestled with this one, I still think Bottas has a chance to keep the seat but there is a few things I see that lead me to my thought.
1. Bottas finished 5th last year with what I think (and probably Mercedes as well) is a far superior car to the rest of the field, he 30 in a week and Merc needs to see if the can find Hamilton's heir, and it is not Bottas.
2. Sure he is second in the standings, but Max should pass him with Vettel and maybe even LeClerc with a chance if he continues with poor performances. He really needs solid runs in the next 3 - 4 races to get a contract, even then next point.
3. Ocon is a lot younger (yeah I don't know if he is the next #1 Merc driver, but as said they have put a lot into him, better to try now than wait until Hamilton retires to find out)
4. Wolff seems to be holding back on saying much about Bottas future and has even said he wants Bottas to have a "soft landing" if he is let go.
5. Bottas himself has been talking to other teams.

I agree with your points, but Merc doesn't need a cheap second driver, they need someone who can win a championship once Hamilton is gone. There is a possibility they could go after Max, but they would not leave it up to chance IMO.
Get Ocon in the car, and see what he can do.
Regardless Bottas only gets another year if he does stay. Just keeping the seat warm.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:36 pm »
I wrestled with this one, I still think Bottas has a chance to keep the seat but there is a few things I see that lead me to my thought.
1. Bottas finished 5th last year with what I think (and probably Mercedes as well) is a far superior car to the rest of the field, he 30 in a week and Merc needs to see if the can find Hamilton's heir, and it is not Bottas.
2. Sure he is second in the standings, but Max should pass him with Vettel and maybe even LeClerc with a chance if he continues with poor performances. He really needs solid runs in the next 3 - 4 races to get a contract, even then next point.
3. Ocon is a lot younger (yeah I don't know if he is the next #1 Merc driver, but as said they have put a lot into him, better to try now than wait until Hamilton retires to find out)
4. Wolff seems to be holding back on saying much about Bottas future and has even said he wants Bottas to have a "soft landing" if he is let go.
5. Bottas himself has been talking to other teams.

I agree with your points, but Merc doesn't need a cheap second driver, they need someone who can win a championship once Hamilton is gone. There is a possibility they could go after Max, but they would not leave it up to chance IMO.
Get Ocon in the car, and see what he can do.
Regardless Bottas only gets another year if he does stay. Just keeping the seat warm.

Don't forget that Merc still has Russell waiting in the wings.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2019, 03:26:11 pm »

Not to mention many other top drivers frothing to get into a competitive car like that.

It makes sense for them to want to develop their own investments, which they will with Ocon and Russell, but if they need a short term top driver, they could likely get one for less than other teams could.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »

Yeah Wolff has already said he is not in the car in 2019 and it is between Bottas & Ocon.
I think Merc has him on a 2-3 plan based on what Hamilton does or if Ocon doesn't quite cut it. Again all the more reason to get Bottas out to see what Ocon can do.
Needs the Williams to be more competitive to show what he has if you ask me.

Not to mention many other top drivers frothing to get into a competitive car like that.

It makes sense for them to want to develop their own investments, which they will with Ocon and Russell, but if they need a short term top driver, they could likely get one for less than other teams could.

Yeah anyone short of probably Stroll (thanks dad) would want in there, but these 2 guys are next in line and I can't see Merc swaying from that line of thought for at least a couple years. Then maybe Max if he is free.
I see Max in a Merc within 5 years.

EDIT: So looks like Bottas will get to keep his seat,with Ocon off to Renault (From the sounds of it Merc basically let him go). Hulk needs a ride, so I think Haas for him. Saw some thoughts about RB but I highly doubt that.
To me the biggest question left is will Lafiti get the #2 ride with Williams. Everything else should be locked in except for exactly where the RB and STR will sit.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:46 am »
Mercedes signs Bottas.

Renault Signs Ocon.

Very shortly I expect we'll hear about Haas signing Hulk.

RIP Grosjean.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:36 am »

*cough*

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:50 am »
*cough*

You cough up the winning lottery numbers for this weekend and I'll cut you in.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2019, 10:44:23 am »
Ocon deal is reportedly multi year