Author Topic: Project LAG WAGON  (Read 19618 times)

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
Project LAG WAGON
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:23:24 am »
I got the car late in 2005, my brother bought it new and had it for 4 months, lost his job and I just took over the payments. In the first week I got a RS-R turbo-back and a set of Enkie RPF1 17x8 silver rims (all in stock at Tunerworks).
No scratches yet:

Still stock:

Next investment was an Autronic SM4 plug n play board from Lightspeed Innovations. I knew my plans were going to need it down the road (build a daily driveable time attacker) so I figured why wait. I still have the Autronic and the RPF1's as my track wheels, but they are flat black now:

I did a bunch of other little things like steering rack bushing, short shifter, sub-frame lock, snorkle delete, even cleared my headlights... But the next big thing was the Praxis Air Suspension by Bridgestone. Now discontinued, they developed a suspension specifically for the WRX that was way cool. I could roll at 3 ride-heights; 3 was like stock, 2 was an inch lower and 50% stiffer, and 1 was and inch lower and 100% stiffer. I loved it, and 90% of the time when I'm driving my car now I really miss it:
This was the middle height, and the one I used most (I got some gold SSR 17x7.5 somewhere in there too, they are on my Jetta now):

Here it was in the lowest setting on the track:

I could even trick it into 4x4 mode:

Next up was more power, so I decided to swap in a version 8 JDM STi motor:

It had the twin-scroll vf37 turbo:

That turbo set-up in currently in a good home with thejean.

That set-up was sweet, good spool and real quick but like many of you, I wanted more and it wasnt ideal for the road course were I needed more upper end power to compete with the big boys in Solo Sprint. So I got a sweet deal on a demo kit from Ultimate Racing which included a gt35r, FMIC, 3.5" turbo-back, 900cc injectors, HKS BOV, Walbro 255 pump, and a boost gauge.

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
Re: Project LAG WAGON
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:23 am »
Next I swapped in an STi drive-train with the 6MT, r180 rear diff, drive-shaft, axles, front and rear Brembo's and and centre diff controller from Rocket Rally.
Then for security I installed an Aquimist HSF-5 water injection kit and a 3 quard Accusump:

Still all tucked away:

The car was really rocking by now and I ran a 12.4 quarter mile with a 1.9 60' and 111mph trap. Here was my dyno chart from Rocket Rally:

It was a really good track set-up and I included some brake ducts:

I was now running in the fastest group in Solo Sprint (mostly Vette's) and having a blast with the car.
Here's a link to me having some fun lapping at Race city:
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/goldrush44/?action=view&current=5864eb60.pbr
It sweet running a wagon at the track:

The Praxis suspension was great 90% of the time for daily driving, but I decided to swap it out for a set of DMS 40mm coilovers that I picked up used from Jamie formerly of Rocket Rally.  
But I wanted to go faster so I decided to go for more rubber! This is difficult in a wagon because of the lack of space for wider tires so I need to make more room:

Rolling on 275 Hoosiers with 17x9 Work rims:

I also added STi aluminum control arms and lateral links with are longer and stiffer.

Sadly I cracked a ring land in the EJ207, so this brings me to my latest money pit, the built motor:

I had TWE build me an EJ22 closed deck, with 79mm crank, 98mm bore 2.4L short block and I added a Moroso oil pan. I re-used my EJ207 big port head and added TWE Stage 3 cams with adjustable cam gears. So here is how it sits now.

I now have 200 km on the new motor and all is well so far, stay tuned for numbers.

I've probably left a lot of stuff out but I'm tired of typing, so in summery I have spent a lot of time and money on the old girl, and thanks to my buddy Cam at Lightspeed I've learnt so much. He has accommodated me to do 90% or the work myself which I think is the best part about fast cars; the great friendships you build (noteworthy - Pat at Rocket, Tom at TWE, the Friday night boys at Lightspeed, and many of you) and the trouble it keeps you out of doing it.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:00 am »
Awesome build, I love those fenders & the built EJ22! :D

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19:25 am »
Wow! Really nice wagon...

How do you find the stage 3 cams are at idle and low RPM?
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:20:27 am »
Those fenders are pure sex. I've never seen such an aggressive wagon!
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:01:53 pm »
Cool.
I was looking for wrx wagons with flares yesterday and yours was one of the first i found.

she is purrrrty.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:37:58 pm »
Can't wait to see your wagon back at solosprint.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
Awesome car man!  It's really cool that you're doing most of the work youself.  Makes it way more satisfying in the end.

+1 to the Friday night's at LightSpeed!!

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:51:18 pm »
Wow! Really nice wagon...

How do you find the stage 3 cams are at idle and low RPM?

I've ordered another muffler to put in the mid-pipe cause the cams and head work have make it stupid loud. Its a little loupe at idle but not bad, and I really cant tell you anything about power cause I havnt pushed it, and I've changed so much at one time, it stubbornly is torqyer than the 2.0L.   

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:55:40 pm »
Can't wait to see your wagon back at solosprint.

I am so bummed about it, but I wont be doing Solo this year. Its an Olympic year and my team talked me out of racing this season, they think it takes up too much of my time and energy (they're probably right). I still plan on doing some track days and some of the Speedway time attacks at Stratotech.

Offline Shawn

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:54 pm »
I saw this car parked outside of Lightspeed last October when I was there for a tune.  The hood was open so I took a peek only to find there was no motor, lol.  Great car though!
320whp 300tq ej205 goodness

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »
Ever consider converting to a twinscroll hotside for a bit better spool?

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »
I really just want it to run let along spool. I just pulled the motor last night cause one of the heads is making an awful noise. I delivered it to the builder and I should be find out tomorrow what's wrong. Me = Holding breath.

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RA Motorsports - Element
    • RA Motorsports
  • Ride: 1987 Corolla GT-S, 1990 300SE, 2009 SX4 AWD, 2018 FXT
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 05:43:05 pm »
wow great looking car!
What crank did you go with for the built ej22?
I know its a 79mm but how did you have it fit into the block?
or was is a dual thrust series crank?

_Matt
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Need powder coating? PM me!

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 06:11:05 pm »
Its an STi crank that was nitrated, and I'm using the centre thrust with no modification. I'm not sure if all cranks will accept both thrust positions, but this one did.

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »
Geez man, I'm pretty sure you have worse luck than I do. Good luck with it.

Offline Tommy_tequila

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »
That is such a nice wagon. Love it!!!!! :o
Also love the fact that it not only looks good but can go fast too. Well done.
When life hands you lemons, get some tequila and salt , and call me.
- Bob

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »
Well I have some pretty good news. The builder has not taken the head in question off yet, but he removed the valve cover and is convinced the noise was from the back engine cover rubbing on the aftermarket adjustable cam gear. There is an oil leak coming from a leaky head gasket, so when the head gaskets arrive at the end of the week he will swap them out, and if all goes well I should be able to put the motor back in on the weekend.

I also received a Magnaflow straight through muffler to weld into the mid section of my exhaust. Its a 5'x8' oval and 14' long with 3.5' core (the same as my TBEX), I really hope it will fit in there somewhere and that it makes the noise less ridiculous. One of my neighbors keeps complaining to the town cops about my exhaust when ever I drive my car without the baffle in the muffler.&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »
When I was installing my motor again I decided to reverse my intake. I got the kit to do this from Full-Race, awesome shop to deal with! They replied to my questions quick with very educated engineer types, fair on price and really quick to ship (4 business days). Best US shop I've ever dealt with!
Any ways I got intake spacers to raise 10mm so I could keep the A/C, slim-line radiator fan, shorter alternator belt, charge pipe, coupler, t-bolt clamps, and gaskets. Turned out really well:

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

Sean

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 10:38:06 am »
Hey the car is lookin good man! Can't wait to see it cruisin around again. :)

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »
UPDATE:
Bad news... I cheeped out and bought OBX cam gears ($1000 less then the JUN ones) and here is what happened:

So now the car will sit till I have the time and money to get it going again. Probably have a ruined head and maybe a broken piston as well. I will update you all in about a year when I have the energy to tackle the job...

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 12:54:15 pm »
:(

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »
That sucks man.  Sorry to hear that.

How does that even happen?!  Have you talked to OBX about it?

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:22 pm »
I was driving along at 110kph and was going up a hill so I down-shifted, and the motor just died. So it was maybe 800rpm downshift to 3800 rpm or so that caused the failure. I haven't even contacted OBX cause even if they offered me new cam gears I would use them or even sell them to anyone else. You get what you pay for and with OBX that's not much. 

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »
I'm happy to share with you guys that after 3 years of frustration then indifference, the. LAG WAGON is back and better than ever!