Author Topic: FS section  (Read 6202 times)

AWDFTW

Re: FS section
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
I think it could be further simplified, with emphasis on more moderation/enforcement regarding thread titles as well as possibly needing your first few posts mod approved, so the mod team can show new members to the sticky threads detailing how to thread title that are in the top of every section; then they can set a good example as new members for the folks who've been here a while and still don't get it.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:13 am »
But, even if you give people those powers, what guidelines should they use?

The mods were giving a lot of attention to the FS areas, and then were asked to stop, so they did, and now are being asked to increase their presence.

Like I said... we're discussing ways to make it work.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:22 am »
But, even if you give people those powers, what guidelines should they use?

Right to the heart of the matter, eh Z?  That's exactly what we're hurriedly working on. ;)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:14 am »
Perhaps a mod or two who can only police the Classifieds section so they don't have to worry about other parts of the board?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
Perhaps a mod or two who can only police the Classifieds section so they don't have to worry about other parts of the board?

I dont think its a manpower issue... (I say, now that I've left the team ;) )

I think what they're asking for is guidance on how the mod-team should police the FS section. The level a while back was too much and now its not enough... so before extra people are required, what should they be doing?

People seem pretty quick to jump on the "You're not doing a good enough job" bandwagon, but when asked for concrete suggestions about how to improve...

So far, I've heard:

- Minimum Number of Posts (no post-orwhaying)
- Thread titles

What about discussions on price? discussions on whether parts will fit (its buyer beware after-all...), bumping of threads, glws (useless posts)....

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:14 pm »
I'd say number of posts is a possibility.
Thread titles need to be somewhat descriptive (Have FS/WTB/Feeler).
You don't need a specfici description, but it might help.
Good: FS: Tomei EL Header "02-07"
Okay: FS: LilDrunkenSmurf Garage Sale (Impreza parts)
Bad: Garage Sale

I think all "price discussions" should be private. If it's too high, it won't sell, or will be adjusted.. Who cares?

If there's a general applicable question or comment "Btw, those headers will only fit 2.5L motors", then that's fine but something like "Will it fit my 82 corolla?" should be researched before hand.

Any "free bumps" should not be allowed either "GLWS", "Post pics AHMAGAWD", "Seen this in person, so clean"
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »
I don't think it's fair to expect moderators to essentially hold new members' hands. All I would suggest is on the signup page, add a note saying the rules are here, with a link, and you are expected to know them and follow them. That's it. No post approval, none of that. If the rules are broken, a quick PM reminding someone to know the rules is sufficient. If they continue breaking them, follow up with points or just delete threads entirely. I don't see any reason to make it harder for the people that are volunteering their time.

As far as ways to improve the FS section specifically (although these may apply to other sections too):

Minimum post number and member time to gain the ability to post in the FS section

Thread titles must be clear, none of this "parts for sale" or "I need help" BS (this applies forum wide)

If you're offering a price, it should be taken to PM, if you want to discuss price by comparing that listed to other listings, you can do so but it must be done respectfully

Buyer beware applies, if you want to know if something will fit, do the research yourself first. If you ask the seller, they are under no obligation to answer and are not responsible for problems.

Bumping of threads is fine, but can only be done by the seller and only once per day. I'm tired of seeing people bumping threads for their friends.

Useless posts like "GLWS" are not acceptable and if drawn to the moderators' attentions, while result in deleted and possibly points.

I think once a clear set of FS rules are established, the moderators can take a pretty relaxed stance. If someone points out that a thread is in violation, it can be addressed but I don't think the moderators need to actively patrol the section, unless they want to.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:45 pm »
Bumping of threads is fine, but can only be done by the seller and only once per day. I'm tired of seeing people bumping threads for their friends.

I'd say once a week, unless you have something other to add: "Dropped price due to kijiji" or "Added new pictures as requested" or "Since I keep getting PM'ed about this:"
Or if you get pushed off the front page.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 12:30:32 pm »
I dont think its a manpower issue... (I say, now that I've left the team ;) )

I think what they're asking for is guidance on how the mod-team should police the FS section. The level a while back was too much and now its not enough... so before extra people are required, what should they be doing?

People seem pretty quick to jump on the "You're not doing a good enough job" bandwagon, but when asked for concrete suggestions about how to improve...

So far, I've heard:

- Minimum Number of Posts (no post-orwhaying)
- Thread titles

What about discussions on price? discussions on whether parts will fit (its buyer beware after-all...), bumping of threads, glws (useless posts)....

I think a required format should be followed; some people are better than others at providing the applicable info, this would rule that out.

Title: brief description of item

In the post
Item:
Condition:
Asking price:
Pictures:

Anything else? 

I'm sure an auto form would make this easy, but might not be easy to implement on the site (?).

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »
I know exactly how to moderate the the FS threads...I think. Any posts not relating to the item in question get deleted. If numpty wants to post a FS thread with no info, then too bad, it's his fault if his itshay doesn't sell. Keep it simple. Also, people who troll the FS threads who have no interest to buy anything will also get their posts deleted. You know who you are. Most importantly, TAKE IT TO PM's. I don't want to see 30 posts in a FS thread with two people going back and forth on a meet location. Ideally, there should be no more than 4-5 posts per thread. You have a question, TAKE IT TO PM's, otherwise STFU.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:29 pm »
I think if a new member wants to post a Subaru or Subaru applicable parts fine, good for us.  Or if you join in order to sell your subaru that's fine too.  If you are only joining to sell a riced out lancer or other random garbage beat it! That's what kijiji is for.  If your a member long enough or reach a certain thread count you get the privelage to use the everything else for sale thread and sell whatever you want.
That's how I would do it anyways.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »
I don't think it's fair to expect moderators to essentially hold new members' hands.

[everything else amby said]

I think once a clear set of FS rules are established, the moderators can take a pretty relaxed stance. If someone points out that a thread is in violation, it can be addressed but I don't think the moderators need to actively patrol the section, unless they want to.

This.

The thing with maximums and minimums that can't be automated (ie, min post count, fine. Max # of bumps per week? needs human eyes) is that the mod team really doesn't want to have to deal with "Report to moderator: Hey, this dude bumped his thread early, it's only been 6 days, not 7!" Nor do we want to have to read all the FS/WTB/FF/FT/Feeler threads to ensure that they are properly formatted, bumped after the magic number of days, etc.

Should we make a distinction between "rules" and "guidelines"?  Or have rules and the caveat that anything which contravenes the rules may just get deleted, because hitting "remove" is much easier for mods to do that dealing with all the nitty gritty details?

I think if a new member wants to post a Subaru or Subaru applicable parts fine, good for us.  Or if you join in order to sell your subaru that's fine too.  If you are only joining to sell a riced out lancer or other random garbage beat it! That's what kijiji is for.  If your a member long enough or reach a certain thread count you get the privelage to use the everything else for sale thread and sell whatever you want.

Sounds rather descriminatory to me. And, who gets to decide? We'd need a moderator who can devote 100% of his/her time, 24/7 to read, sort, respond, warn, edit and delete as needed.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »
That's how I would do it anyways.

Agreed. We don't need cars that are a downgrade. If you want to sell your Audi, BMW or something else that might be an upgrade to a WRX or STi, go ahead.

Sounds rather descriminatory to me. And, who gets to decide? We'd need a moderator who can devote 100% of his/her time, 24/7 to read, sort, respond, warn, edit and delete as needed.

Mods get to decide. This isn't a democracy.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »
I hate reading classifieds, and kijiji ads drive me nuts because there is no "standard" way of writing an ad. Information is rarely complete, usually scattered, and it's typically really hard to find what you are looking for.

Several "standards" would make our for sale section much easier to navigate, search, and most importantly, buy and sell stuff.

Thread Titles
Titles should follow a specific format. First it should show the intent of the thread (this will also help people remember what forum they are posting in), then a short, concise list of wares. There are common, well known acronyms that are already used to show intent, so that shouldn't be too hard for people to adopt. The title doesn't need to be too specific, but it should lead a potential buyer/seller without being too vague or misleading.

If you are only selling one or two items, it would make sense to title your thread as specifically as possible.
Example... WTB: OE VF39 Turbo and OE STi intercooler

If you are selling a various list of parts, it would make sense to title your thread more generically.
Example... FS: 2002 WRX Suspension and Drivetrain parts

Thread Content

First, I want to see a nice list of specific details. If you have a list of different parts, each needs it's own set of details, following a specific format, something along the lines of:

Condition: "New" or "Used"
What: "Technical Description"
Application: "Unknown" or "Specific Application"
Manufacturer: "Manufacturer Name"
Part Number: "Unknown" or "R4ND0MP4RT"
Price: $1.00
More info: Any more information pertaining to the part.

Second, I want to see pictures, of the exact pieces you are selling, showing current condition. This is pretty straight forward. So now we have...

Condition: "New" or "Used"
What: "Technical Description"
Application: "Unknown" or "Specific Application"
Manufacturer: "Manufacturer Name"
Part Number: "Unknown" or "R4ND0MP4RT"
Price: $1.00
More info: Any more information pertaining to the part.

[picture]
[picture]
[picture]

Third, I want to see this for each item you are selling. It makes it easy for me to see exactly what you have without having to read through a list of random stuff.

Multiple Threads

A user may have and maintain ONE (1) of each type of thread. 1 FS thread, 1 WTB thread, etc. This keeps the whole section simplified and clutter free. I don't want to see a dozen different threads posted by one member. It's unnecessary and makes it really difficult to find stuff. "I saw this in USERNAME's FS thread. Wait, which one?"

Bumping

Once a day. Our FS section isn't that active, so your post will stay near the top for a while.

Replies

Acceptable replies include a specific question about an item, or a comment that would provide more information about an item. The only acceptable reply is one that nets you more information. Any other reply is unacceptable and is to be deleted.

Vehicles for Sale

In my opinion, this is the one section that needs to have a certain format. I actually like the way kijiji works for selling cars. As you post the add it asks for specific information about the car and automagically populates the ad's title.

Thread Title
FS: Year Make Model Trim

Thread Content
Price: $10000.00
Make: Subaru
Model: WRX
Year: 2005
Kilometers: 105000
Body Type: Sedan
Transmission: Manual
Color: Blurple
Drivetrain: AWD
Fuel Type: Gasoline

Description: A detailed description, in your own words. Can include mod list, vehicle history, specifics about anything to do with the vehicle, etc.

[pictures]
[pictures]
[pictures]

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »
^^ Great suggestions... except I think bumping should be limited to once per week...

our FS section doesnt move fast enough to warrant anything more.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
Why don't we get dedicated FS section mods? I mean it sounds like pistachoo, GrantC and jer don't want to do it because the rest of the forums are bad enough.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »
Why don't we get dedicated FS section mods? I mean it sounds like pistachoo, GrantC and jer don't want to do it because the rest of the forums are bad enough.

Why are we suggesting the same thing over and over? I didn't see anyone shooting down that suggestion?
This conversation has become circular and I think we have enough ammo/info to bring us to something that might work better.

This is locked for now.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:45 pm »
This is locked for now.

Yuppers, keep an eye out for some stickies and some announcements.