Author Topic: DAMD Installed- My 2011 SWP STI - / COBB / DAMD / BAYSON R /  (Read 6928 times)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: DAMD Installed- My 2011 SWP STI - / COBB / DAMD / BAYSON R /
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:36 pm »
This will do:

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Automotive/Chemicals-Maintenance/Fluids/Brakes/354mL-GT-LMA-Brake-Fluid/_/N-ntjf4/R-I8615144?Num=0

I use this stuff with great success in all my vehicles. The only downside is you need to order it in.

It is easier to just call Napa and they have it in the back or another store. Its less expensive and you can get it in the same day.

Here is a nice little link.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=BRAKEFLUID
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 03:22:28 pm »
You can order boxes of that stuff. Great way to drop the bottle price.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 SWP GR STi
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
Sigh :'(
So I thought I would get a reputable shop to install the steering rack bushings to save me the hassle. Bad idea...

I go to pick up the car and immediately notice that the steering wheel is not centre. Alignment feels good and the car still tracks straight; however, while driving straight the wheel is turned to the right.

So I leave the car with them another day and ask them to move the column over one spline to see if that will re-centre the wheel.
Instead they insist that "the master spline" or something rather cannot be adjusted and mess with the tie rods instead.
I once again go to pick up the car and the wheel is still not centred! It's the exact same as the day before except now the alignment feels off as well.

What should I do now?
I could take it back to this shop again but the competence level in this matter does not seem to be there.

Random notes:
-Before taking the car in the steering wheel was dead-centre and the alignment was bang-on (recently done)
-When dropping the car off I left an OCD note with it specifically mentioning my concerns regarding the potential for the steering wheel to come off-centre and how to avoid it from happening
-The shop charged me a whopping 3 hours labour to do what is clearly a 1 hour install

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 06:30:48 pm »
Sigh :'(
So I thought I would get a reputable shop to install the steering rack bushings to save me the hassle. Bad idea...

I go to pick up the car and immediately notice that the steering wheel is not centre. Alignment feels good and the car still tracks straight; however, while driving straight the wheel is turned to the right.

So I leave the car with them another day and ask them to move the column over one spline to see if that will re-centre the wheel.
Instead they insist that "the master spline" or something rather cannot be adjusted and mess with the tie rods instead.
I once again go to pick up the car and the wheel is still not centred! It's the exact same as the day before except now the alignment feels off as well.

What should I do now?
I could take it back to this shop again but the competence level in this matter does not seem to be there.

Random notes:
-Before taking the car in the steering wheel was dead-centre and the alignment was bang-on (recently done)
-When dropping the car off I left an OCD note with it specifically mentioning my concerns regarding the potential for the steering wheel to come off-centre and how to avoid it from happening
-The shop charged me a whopping 3 hours labour to do what is clearly a 1 hour install

I've done the install myself on my legacy. The splines were a little frustrating to line up. So I just said forget it, and took the car into a shop for alignment. Although, if you know which way the steering wheel is pointed when your car's driving straight, it's not too difficult to re-align the splines. Maybe you have more patience than I do... It may take a few tries before you make it perfect.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:37 pm »

Hahah, it's not a Mopar.  There's no master spline on any Japanese cars I know of.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 09:31:08 am »
Personally I would attempt to talk to management about the issue. I worked at a shop that did alignments and they would ALWAYS centre the wheel before finishing. Also they should have an copy of the degrees and percents the wheels were out when they finished, I would be requesting this.

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »
It's a small shop so I likely was already talking to management. I didn't think there was a "master spline" - at this point I think they are just trying to BS me to make me go away.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and try to get a partial refund and just mess with the splines myself at a friend's place. Hopefully they go for that and don't tell me to bring in the car again...

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 10:28:50 am »
Ended up getting a partial refund from the shop. :D

Got the car up last night on a buddy's lift and tried different spline placement. Unfortunately, one spline over had the wheel slightly turned to the left. Even with how fine the splines are there is not enough adjustment to get the wheel straight in this case. Still doesn't make sense how it was straight prior to the bushings install though.

I'll try removing the steering wheel this weekend and see if there is adjustment that can be made with the steering wheel placement to try to get this centered. Unless that's a dumb idea?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 10:34:35 am »
More than likely the rack moved while doing the bushings, something that you're warned against in all the DIYs.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline ScubieDoobieDoo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Subaru WRX STI
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
Jacky @ Balance Auto just did mine - steering wheel straight as can be. Might be worth giving him a call to see if he has any tricks?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 12:09:06 pm »
Might be worth giving him a call to see if he has any tricks? going to his shop next time?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 05:17:24 pm »
Point taken! I called Jackie and told him that my steering wheel is off and my rack must not be centred either as the turns lock-to-lock are not equal left/right and he said he will "reset the rack" (not sure what that means), centre the wheel, and do an alignment.
For the alignment I asked for zero toe all around and max camber up front with both sides being equal.
Appointment is booked for next Monday - wish me luck! :)

Unrelated, my brakes squeal a little on initial application. I think it's coming from the fronts. It's not too bad, but is there something I can lubricate easy to remedy this?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:59 pm »
You don't need luck.  You need Jackie. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
I'm a little late on the update here but wanted to thank those who recommended I go see Jackie @ Balance Auto Garage - I had a great experience! :)
They easily centered my wheel and did a precise alignment as per my spec request.
You can tell that they are car fanatics as they weren't the slightest bit bothered by my OCD.

As promised, here is my review of the Whiteline steering rack bushings (plus Cusco steering rack brace) in my 2011 STi Hatch:
Steering feel on stock bushings = deplorable. The best way to describe the feel is it's as though the steering column is connected to the wheels via a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man. The steering is also far too light.
Steering feel on Whiteline bushings = mediocre at best. Eliminated most of the unnerving slop. Did not change the weight of the steering at all (still far too light).

Would I recommend them? ABSOLUTELY. Even thought the steering is still mediocre, the stock steering is so laughably bad that I still can't fathom how any production vehicle, let alone a sports car, could make it off the assembly line in that state.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »
I'm a little late on the update here but wanted to thank those who recommended I go see Jackie @ Balance Auto Garage - I had a great experience! :)
They easily centered my wheel and did a precise alignment as per my spec request.
You can tell that they are car fanatics as they weren't the slightest bit bothered by my OCD.

As promised, here is my review of the Whiteline steering rack bushings (plus Cusco steering rack brace) in my 2011 STi Hatch:
Steering feel on stock bushings = deplorable. The best way to describe the feel is it's as though the steering column is connected to the wheels via a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man. The steering is also far too light.
Steering feel on Whiteline bushings = mediocre at best. Eliminated most of the unnerving slop. Did not change the weight of the steering at all (still far too light).

Would I recommend them? ABSOLUTELY. Even thought the steering is still mediocre, the stock steering is so laughably bad that I still can't fathom how any production vehicle, let alone a sports car, could make it off the assembly line in that state.

I think what you were describing was the on-center feel, which I feel is a weakness of Subaru AWD cars. Do you have a copy of your alignment specs? I find adding front positive caster and negative camber on these cars improve the steering feel. Was it 2011 or 2012 that Subaru updated the rear bushings on the front control arms? If your car does not have the updated version, the Whiteline version is worth the investment, as they are stiffer and add positive caster.

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 04:07:35 pm »
Here's a random one for y'all:
Anybody have a 2008-2014 STi Hatch with a stock exhaust?
I'm contemplating swapping my COBB exhaust back to stock but want to hear what stock sounds like first.
If anybody wants to take me for a quick spin so I can hear I can return the favor by bringing beer or taking you for a quick spin in my 8200 RPM screamin' E46 M3  ;)

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 04:56:46 pm »
I have an OEM exhaust you can literally just take

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:02 am »
Appreciate the offer but I have the OEM exhaust still. Just want to know what it sounds like before swapping and re-tuning.