Author Topic: Plasti dip peeled clear coat off  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1996 legacy gtb sold/ 1998 Fozzy Stb/2005 wrx/2005 4runner limited
Plasti dip peeled clear coat off
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »
Dont know where to put this thread as i dont think its been asked before.

I have a 99 forester import which prior to dipping had really good paint condition,car was dipped last summer white with a camo theme on top of it peeled it off last week when it was nice and warm out only did the door panels and noticed that clear got pulled and wrecked in the process. I contacted the people who i bought from which they contacted fonzie at dyc in the states. He said it was cause the car was either repainted or cleared recently which it definitely has not been. Im not done talking with them yet as im super mad about this as the car looks horrible now, my lawyer who is a car guy also saw the car when i first got it so he knows what it looks like , i have not contacted him yet as im trying to be nice about this whole thing.

Here are some pics so you can see what im talking about there is still plasti dip on the car hood,roof,bumpers etc as im scared to peel them. Also the car was cleaned and dried before dipping and i had the pre thinned dip so not like i used to much thinner as it was already mixed when i got it.

This is what the whole car looked like dipped ---

Here is the car when i first got you can tell how nice the paint looks,

Any advice on what i should do next would be helpful, i know of one Subaru before having its paint wrecked and fonzie offered the guy 3000 usd to cover the cost of repainting.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: Plasti dip peeled clear coat off
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
Dip it again...jokes.

I have read on a few other forums of this happening and the person not having any sort of grounds to stand on due to the product being put on by the consumer and not a shop or what have you. I don't think anything will come of this due to the fact that it's a DIY product and a number of things done or not done when applying the product could be the cause of the paint damage.

I am not in any way saying you or whoever applied it messed up, that's just how I believe they will look at it legally. I could be 100% wrong I am just repeating what I have heard on other forums and it makes sense to me.

Either way I wish you the best of luck with resolving this! 

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
Thanks bud, ive painted cars before with real paint so im not new to this but just heard back from the Toronto shop where i bought and hes still saying the car was repainted recently. Ill be contacting the guy from japan i bought it from and asking him and i still have the auction sheet will i will check over to see if it mentions anything.

Here is the other subaru link which was a way newer model that had damage but fonzie offered him money to fix it.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-exterior/256038-severe-damage-caused-plastidip-w-pics.html

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »
Never once said you didn't know what you were doing, just throwing in my $0.02, bud  ;)

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:32:02 pm »
No no dude im not saying that towards you just saying as general statement! I appreciate the advice.

Updating as i go here is a quote from prodip.ca website where i ordered "Plasti-Dip does not damage the clear coat of your car unless you bought it in a Pure form and used to much thinner to thin it"  I bought the pre thinned dip as to not have to worry about how much thinner to put it.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:38 pm »
What did you use to peel it off with?

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »
I'm just curious how much they charge to dip all car, and what kind of colors they offer...

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
Haha ahh gotcha!

I guess with that quote from their website along with proof that you purchased the pre mixed stuff you have a good argument.

rith

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
Meh plastidipping.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »
Sounds like the paint wan't thinned properly. I cannot understand the logic behind plasti-dipping a newly painted vehicle so I don't see why he would keep pressing the issue. If you had pieces that were newly painted you would use clear film and not change the color otherwise you would just paint it the color you want.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:24:47 pm »
I agree with what everyone is saying, it mostly was on there to protect it over this last winter until i got a pro detail done on car. Ive plasti dipped before, i would open the door and rub the edge till it got a lip going then peeled it off. It came off in a whole piece so i laid enough layers down. Also just drove down to Fineline customworks in Calgary here who plasti dips entire cars and talked to one of the installers he looked at car and said it definitely is the clear coat affected and he believes it has something to do with how much thinner they put into the product when they sold it to me. As mentioned i bought the pre thinned so they mixed everything themselves.

10secdream my thoughts exactly! Im going to talk to the guy at Fineline again tomorrow and ask him to write out what he said about the clear being affected and him thinking its the mixture that was sold to me so i can send that off to the place i bought it from. Im just trying to cover all the bases and protect myself, as it clearly states will not cause damage!

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 04:25:51 pm »
I'm just curious how much they charge to dip all car, and what kind of colors they offer...

I believe most shops charge around 800 to start.

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »
Update*

Still getting the run around ive had people look at it and they all they the mixture that was sold to me caused the damage to the clear coat. The shop i bougth from said they just resell the product, it gets pre mixed from the factory. When i emailed Fonzie at dipyourcar the offical site he said i had to contact the people i bought it from which i did but those people are not trying to resolve the issue at all just said " Idk what you want us to do about the issue"

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »
This situation might be a tough one to resolve. Does the supplier you bought it from have any sort of warranty on the website or what not.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:01:49 pm »
Taken from https://www.dipyourcar.com/Terms-and-Conditions.html

"Plasti Dip International and DipYourCar.com take zero responsibility or liability for the process, usage or end result of the Plasti Dip products."

"By accepting these Terms and Conditions, you release DipYourCar, LLC from any and all liability regarding the result or results from using the products sold on our website."

Game over, man. Game over.

Correctly mixed or not, once the product leaves their facility, there's absolutely no way for them to guarantee you, or anyone else, didn't alter it or add anything detrimental to it.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
Game over man. I guess there is something to be said about ALWAYS performing a test spot on a vehicles paint.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »
I don't see why people expect this to not do any damage. How do people think it bonds to the paint to stick? Magic? Vinyl wrap damages the clearcoat as well. Something has to stick to something for it to work.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:22 pm »
Yea except the place i bought from says will not damage clear coat, plus there has been a subaru sti newer that had chunks of clear coat come off, depending on the response i get from prodip.ca i may or may not talk with my lawyer who is a car guy himself and actually saw my car before i did the plasti. If at the end of the day they dont want to fix the car the least they could do is offer to cover the car again in plastidip at one of the local installers in  my opinion.

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:07 pm »

"Plasti Dip International and DipYourCar.com take zero responsibility or liability for the process, usage or end result of the Plasti Dip products."

"By accepting these Terms and Conditions, you release DipYourCar, LLC from any and all liability regarding the result or results from using the products sold on our website."

Correctly mixed or not, once the product leaves their facility, there's absolutely no way for them to guarantee you, or anyone else, didn't alter it or add anything detrimental to it.

I read that and actually talked to them DipYourCar that is and they said they dont deal with international customers id have to contact the people i bought the product from as they have to many usa customers to deal with.

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »
Here is what bugs me i can understand if i thinned it myself but i didnt i bought the ready to spray stuff, and like i mentioned this is on there page key word DOES NOT DAMAGE CLEAR COAT which to me is false advertising.

"Plasti-Dip is not permanent. It can be easily removed given the fact that you apply enough coats. Even If you don’t apply enough coats, Plasti-Dip can still be removed when wanted, it just would take much longer and would much harder. Plasti-Dip does not damage the clear coat of your car unless you bought it in a Pure form and used to much thinner to thin it"

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:23 am »
Here is what bugs me i can understand if i thinned it myself but i didnt i bought the ready to spray stuff, and like i mentioned this is on there page key word DOES NOT DAMAGE CLEAR COAT which to me is false advertising.

"Plasti-Dip is not permanent. It can be easily removed given the fact that you apply enough coats. Even If you don’t apply enough coats, Plasti-Dip can still be removed when wanted, it just would take much longer and would much harder. Plasti-Dip does not damage the clear coat of your car unless you bought it in a Pure form and used to much thinner to thin it"

Yeah, if this ever made it to court, they'll probably drop some caveat emptor stuff on you. You can't realistically expect that anything will come out of this. Anything DIY is pretty much on your head.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 10:32:12 am »
The fact that your lawyer friend is a car guy, while I'm sure he might have more empathy for your situation because of that, won't lend any more credibility to your case, nor result in a different outcome.
And sure, they may state on their website that it will not affect the clear coat, but the disclaimer that Rathburn quoted above pretty much releases them of any/all liability regardless.
As already mentioned, since this was not done by a professional shop, if you're looking at it from the supplier's POV, there's no reason for them to believe that the product was not altered prior to being applied, and no real way for you to prove that it wasn't either.

My best suggestion to you would be to have a detailing professional assess the paint, if you haven't already, and see if some of that damage can't be corrected.
And who knows, maybe that would be a cost the company could be willing to help you out on. But I wouldn't be counting on them cutting you a cheque for a respray (paint, plastidip, or otherwise.)
Not too mention, that taking this to court, even if it resulted in a favourable outcome for you, would cost way more than you would ever get back in return.

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck to you!

Offline DWS

• Stubbly Faced
  • 1994 JDM WRX
  • Ride: 94 JDM WRX
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:47 am »
Sucks to have this happen, no doubt...

But I have to agree with the overall comments that you are fighting an uphill battle.  Given that I don't know what it cost to have it done, I do know a lawyer will far exceed the cost to re-clear the car.  It's most likely a losing situation if you decide to sue them.  Small claims may work, but then it's just you and a one line statement in an advertisement against their "fine print" and an equally daming statement by them that "it was not properly installed".

Just my comments...  (for what they are worth)

Doug

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 01:08:36 pm »

This is exactly why I didn't go this route last year with my car.
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Subarylgtb

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 02:36:06 pm »
Thanks guys, but the terms and conditions on the site mentioned above dipyourcar.com is a usa site you cant even order from there if your in Canada also when i contacted that site they said they cant help me as i have to go through the company i bought from which doesnt make sense to me.

On the company site i bought from in their terms and conditions they do not state anything about using at own risk or having any liability. Also the product in the states is different than what is sold in Canada as thats why the usa stuff cant be sold here.

Im going today to have it assessed on the damage, im not trying to blow this up id just think it would be fair at the very least to off to dip the car again. But ill be sending it off to my lawyer to let me know what he thinks, since hes our family one i wont be charged by him so its worth at least checking with him.

But like i said cheers guys for not ripping on me as i know a lot of other forums would probably bash me for even mentioning this.