Author Topic: Trevoroni's '90 Justy : Zero uckfays Given  (Read 5544 times)

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
Trevoroni's '90 Justy : Zero uckfays Given
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:33 pm »
TLDR; Zero uckfays given.

I've been meaning to post up some pictures of the Justy for a long time now but haven't gotten around to it.
I'm not sure how much of a project thread this will be since I'm terrible at stopping to take pictures while working on a car.
And I don't plan on doing anything that isn't needed in order to keep the Justy running well mechanically.

I picked it up in the middle of February of 2015 from a music teacher in Calgary after seeing it on a Kijiji ad for $850.
It looked alright in the pictures and the mileage on the odometer was pretty low so I figured it would be worth the drive to at least check it out.
It was a 5 speed, 4x4 and was fuel injected which were the important things I was looking for in a Justy.

When we got down to Calgary I figured there would be a few things that would need attention on the car.
The owner was really honest and was nice enough to point out all it's quirks before letting me take it on a test drive.
The drivers side window was missing becasue she had the door open and backed into the garage, bending the door past 90* and breaking the glass, along with the hinge. The ad did say that the window was broken though so this wasn't surprising.
The drivers side seat belt was stuck in the latch. So she explained her method of yoga'ing into the seat belt with it still latched.
The hood wouldn't pop unless you were pulling the release and reached around and lifted on the hood at the same time.
The hatch handle would stick open if you pulled on it all the way to the top. So she kept a butter knife in the trunk to pop it back after it was opened.
The exhaust leaked.
The valve cover leaked.
The gas door hinge was rusty so when you opened it, it didn't turn the hinge but rather bent the door.
The rear wiper didn't work.
The passenger side headlight lens was cracked but it was 3m filmed over it to hold it together.
And she said that when it was cold the speedometer made a howling noise until it warmed up...
And there was rust...

After hearing these things I figured that I was going to be coming home empty handed but taking a closer look under the car at the important bits and inspecting the engine bay it looked like it would be ok for the $800 price tag.

So I bought it.

The drivers side window was duct taped over with some clear plastic sheating. I wasn't sure if it would make it home but she sent me with the roll of duct tape and some spare plastic in case it blew out. It made it to Airdrie before it was flapping in the wind.
Luckily I came prepared with ski pants, big gloves and the rest of my winter gear suitable for a snow mobile. It was only -10*c when I was on the way home so it was bearable.
As bearable as buzzing down the QE2 at 4000rpm to do 110km/h with no window and a leaky exhaust could be for 3 hours.

Once I got it home I ordered new window glass from Rockauto.
A few days later it showed up and I put it in. The window frame was bent from the incident though so it didn't seal up properly. A little black speed tape and it was as good as new. Zero uckfays given.
While putting the window in I got my hand wedged in the door and my wedding band fell off into the door. uckfays given. Luckily the rust on the bottom is so bad that I could reach in there with my finger to retrieve it.

Most of the issues that she had described to me when I bought it were fixed with some PB Blaster and a good cleaning. I no longer had to do my morning stretches before crawling into the seat belt.

I drove it for a month or so while determing how much money it was worth to put into the beast.
It started clunking pretty good in the rear end going over bumps. Turned out the massive 13mm rear sway bar broke one of it's mounts off the control arm. I took it off completely. There isn't much body roll out of 1800lbs of fury. Zero uckfays given.

I ordered new plug wires, distributer cap and rotor, fuel filter, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket and starter cutoff relay from rockauto. I also picked up spark plugs from Canadian Tire.

She had a rough idle when warm and would stall occasionaly when letting off the gas and it transitioned to idle. I was hoping that the above would fix that. No luck though.
Digging through some Justy forums (yes there are those), I read that some people have issues with the wires coming from the distributor shorting out. Turns out I had a wire inside the distributor that wore through it's insulation and was shorting out on the metal housing.
A little electrical tape and all my issues were solved. Zero uckfays given.

The valve cover gasket and spark plugs were about a 30 minute job combined. Plus I have a spare spark plug since they come in packs of 2!

The starter cutoff relay was supposed to help with when I turn the key and get nothing from the starter. No click, no dimming of the lights, no nothing. Sometimes it turns over on the first try other times it takes five or six. It seams to get worse with warm temperatures.
That's still happening but it's not as big of an issue as long as it doesn't stall at stop signs. Little uckfays given.

Eventually the gas door broke of from bending the hinge instead of it turning as it should. I rolled around for a few months with no filler door until winter was coming and I ordered a new headlight from a wrecker on Vancouver island. Oh ya, the cracked headlight that was 3m'ed over would fill up with water when it rained like a fish bowl, If you didn't take a knife or other pointy object and push through the 3m film to drain it once in a while it would get to a point where it would splash against the hot bulb and shatter it.
So I ordered a new headlight and fuel filler door that came from a 4 door. Turns out the fuel door on a 4 door is about an inch shorter than a 2 door. Some contact cement and it's good as new. Zero uckfays given.

A few weeks later the exhaust broke apart at the flex pipe. A couple hose clamps, some wire and a spring from somewhere and it was good as ever. Zero uckfays given.
The rear wiper is fixed now . Turned out to be the connection in the hatch came unplugged. It took 6 months before I finally looked into it and it was a 5 minute fix. What's behind you doesn't matter, right?

I think that gets us up to speed. The rear wheel bearings are starting to go, it's only noticeable when it's cold out right now. And it needs an alignment, it's sketchy as uckfay on ice/snow drifts on the highway in fwd. Not sure if that's because of the short wheel base light weight and half worn out Nokians or a combination of the two previous issues. It feels like Bambi on ice going down the highway at anything above 80. Put it in 4wd and it's fine though.

On to the pictures!

In her natural habitat.

Yep those are my knees around the steering wheel. I'm only 6ft tall.

The wheels light up green when in 4wd. Also note, the odometer only goes up to 100k km. Apparently it's only went around once.

Came with a Pioneer CD player and random burned CD!

Not sure what this push button and light do. Fake security system?

The fun button! Locks the center differential for 50/50 torque split all the time. Not pleasant in parking lots.

Easy access 110* driver door opening!

Progressive weight reduction. 1,900lbs is too heavy for 80hp (25 years ago).

Fancy speakers, too bad they have no enclosure and just rattle the dash in place of bass.

Deck screw hinge pin. Zero uckfays given.

Easy ring retrieval

New/old Frankenstein gas door. If the car was washed since I got it the silver would match the lower two tone.

Tin snips and contact cement FTW. Zero uckfays given.

More weight reduction. Also pictured, new fuel filter.

Speed taped new window. Doesn't leak any more than the rusted through door.

Passenger side rear wheel well. Came with Nokian WRG2's these oversized 175/70R13's rub under hard braking or big bumps. Hellaflush yo!

More weight reduction.

The interior is clean at least.

Rear leg room!

Cargo Space!

Massive 1.5" grape shooter!

Underneath is clean. Not pictured, the worlds smallest 13mm rear sway bar that broke off it's mounts.

Good enough. Zero uckfays given!

New headlight. Half a fighting chance against deer on the highway and don't have to replace a bulb after it rains.

The massive 1.2L inline 3 cyl engine.

2.8L of oil means enough oil from a 4L jug that after an oil change it it runs out from topping up it's probably time to change oil again.

Strut mounts are ok.

New bling in the engine compartment. Must be good for an extra horse or two.

The distributor wires that were causing issues.

Decent suspension. Handles pretty well considering it's age.

And putting her to work during the year. That garden tractor weighs 1200lbs.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Trevoroni's '90 Justy : Zero uckfays Given
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:51:36 pm »
That interior is so much cleaner than the body...  :-\

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:00:38 pm »
Yep, Subaru paint hasn't gotten much better in the past 25 years. Note to new owners... don't let this happen to your cars.
It's at a point where it's not worth attempting to fix the rust and to be one with it and accept it's slow death and enjoy it's last years (months?) of life before pulling the plug and letting it return to the earth.  :P
Better make the last of it's life worth it in the "zero uckfays given" mantra. I've put 18,000km on it already this year since I've got it.
There's something satisfying about taking a car up to near red-line at every shift and not breaking the speed limit.
I've been keeping an eye out for a better body to swap the heart into but it seems like a common disease in these parts.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:58:41 am »
I'm glad you made a build thread for this thing. It's one of the most interesting cars on WSC! I definetly enjoyed reading your little write up and checking out the pictures. You are a great photographer!

It's a shame about all the body rust, but at least you are getting good use out of the car while you can. 18,000 km!? Wow!!! :O

A manual locking centre diff?? You need to put blocks in the suspension and take this thing off roading!  8)

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:34:36 am »
This is a good great post.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:15 am »
Great write up and a great car. Pretty solid frame which too, awesome deal for $800.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »
This is amazing, I love it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »
Such a neat little car, shame about the terminal rust.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:54:33 pm »
Thanks guys I knew there'd be some Justy love around these parts.
It's a mixed reaction by the general public. They either love it or think I'm crazy for driving it by choice.

One guy even thought it was a Yugo!

Pffff. So much cooler than that itshay box.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 04:05:41 pm »
It's about time you post a thread.

I saw a 4-door Justy at the Dairy Queen up in the NE last weekend but I couldn't screw up the courage to talk to the owner.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
After searching for a factory service manual for the past 6 months I finally broke down and paid for one.
http://oemrepairmanuals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=21
I guess it was worth the price. Over 900 paged, and 350mb so it's got really good picture quality and clear text.
Hopefully it'll save some headaches in the future.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 07:05:40 pm »
After driving the Loyale all week long I took the Justy for a spin into town tonight.
Damn I love this thing. It's so much fun it is to drive.  >:D

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 08:06:10 pm »

Good thing I took this picture.
The muffler was almost falling out of it's rubber mount.
All fixed now before any damage was done.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 08:31:43 pm »
Worn mount, or bent muffler prong?

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
They both looked fine.
I'm guessing that when the muffler came apart at the flex pipe the subsequent shaking around made it come nearly out of the mount.
I'll check on it in a while and see if it's still sitting properly.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:45 pm »
We've been lending my brother in law our other old car the 'turdcel' for the past 6 months while he saved up for something for himself.
Long story short it ran out of oil driving on the Henday a few weeks ago and the engine seized and the pistons tried to escape from their torture.
So he called my wife at work and said "Your car died, it's on the Henday going South by 91st."
Hmmmm, South on the Henday by 91st you say? It was actually going West on the Henday before 66st but close enough I guess.
So I had to call AMA to come pick it up as he just left it there, on the wrong side of the road, without the blinkers on, with all the doors locked... Luckily my wife had a spare key and was working so she was in the city.

But that's enough about that. The Tercel had a rough 18 year life, it hit a deer, was hit and run by a big truck and now this finally killed it dead. Still died too young with only 230k km on it. It was the 2nd newest car we own these days  :'(

Tough to get a good picture on the backside of the engine but there's the hole in the block.

But out of death comes PARTS!

It had a year old battery, a set of winter tires, and nearly a full tank of gas.

Got a full Jerry can of gas siphoning out the tank through the fuel pump access.

The Justy has 4x100 bolt pattern with a 59.2mm hub bore. The 59.2mm is just where the 4 nubs stick out on the front hubs only. The rears don't have any centering. A 59.2mm bore isn't found on any other car (OK maybe some 80's Nissan's too).
The Tercel had 4x100 with a 54.1 hub bore. Reading on the Justy forums and doing some analysis on the make up of a rim I broke out the heavy artillery and with a little persuasion the Justy has winter wheels.

Fits like a glove. And the wheels haven't fallen off in a 500km of driving yet. No worse shaking or vibration then with the stock wheels either.
Zero uckfays given.

She's still performing wood duty on occasion too when I don't feel like getting out the skidoo. But now it's upgraded with ice fishing sled power!

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:47 pm »
Pretty boss.

I'm amazed your brother in law managed to actually kill a Tercel.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38:18 pm »
Especially after we've been reminding him almost weekly to check the oil and keep it topped up since it was known to burn a little bit when we lent it to him.
Oh well, cheap life lessons were learned by all (hopefully). He went out and got himself a Jeep so hopefully he takes care of it.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:47 pm »
Pretty boss.

+1 on that!

I'm amazed your brother in law managed to actually kill a Tercel.

+1 on that as well. Seriously, those cars are pretty robust. That guy must have been zinging along the henday in 3rd gear at 5000rpm to make the engine explode that catastrophically :/

But eh, you have a set of winters for the justy. You could probably do some serious winter off-roading with that thing now! ;)

Especially after we've been reminding him almost weekly to check the oil and keep it topped up since it was known to burn a little bit when we lent it to him.
Oh well, cheap life lessons were learned by all (hopefully). He went out and got himself a Jeep so hopefully he takes care of it.
Meh, at least it is his own vehicle this time, and not yours :P

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:16 pm »
+1 on that as well. Seriously, those cars are pretty robust. That guy must have been zinging along the henday in 3rd gear at 5000rpm to make the engine explode that catastrophically :/

...It was an automatic.
He said there was a screech and then a bang and then it wouldn't start. Must have been quite the bang I'm guessing.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
But eh, you have a set of winters for the justy. You could probably do some serious winter off-roading with that thing now! ;)

It does feel about 80% more composed on gravel roads and the ice that we had last week so the "Bambi on ice" effect must have been mostly the ittshay worn out all-weather tires.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 07:45:37 pm »
Apparently rusting away back to the earth isn't the only way it has been returning to nature....

There was a few weeks when I hadn't driven 0FG in late September when I guess it looked like a good place to spend the winter to the squirrel that has been living in our trees.

I went to check the oil before driving it and when I popped the hood I was greeted by the entire upper half of the engine bay and strut towers covered in pine cones.

I forgot to take a picture since it was early in the morning, dark and I was going to be late for work.
But here's some picture proof since he packed it in so good that he even filled the fender holes.

Later that morning on the commute I went over a set of train tracks and got a face full of Hanta virus when the mouse nest that was in the HVAC intake must have came loose and fell into the fan. I've tried cleaning it out a few times now and every once in a while I still get a blast of mouse nest through the vents.

For neglecting the Justy for a few weeks I decided to make it up to her by giving her some more noise.

The fuel pump crapped out in the illegal immigrant and when I was investigating I noticed that it had some decent 5.25" Boston Acoustic speakers mounted on the back deck. Since it doesn't get used very much and the Wifey was sleeping for night shifts in the house I decided to make up some zero uckfays given speaker boxes to add some resemblance of bass to the Justy.

An hour or so later with some left over shelf material I had 2 more speakers in the RuSTi with a $0 out of pocket cost.

Sounds much better. Hopefully the local wildlife doesn't wreck them.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 11:58:25 pm »
Only thing I've ever done that worked on rodents is pack the exhaust and all the intake vents with steel wool. Just don't forget it when you go to fire the car up again...

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 08:20:05 pm »
I didn't think they'd move in that quick.
If it was going to be parked for winter storage or something then I might have bothered. Not parked for a couple of weeks though.
I don't think there is enough steel wool to patch all the rust holes in the doors and trunk though...

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 08:57:22 pm »
She didn't want to start today.
It would crank over fine and was getting fuel so spark was suspected.

Traced the wires back from the distributor which I knew were suspect at best and a common source of failure.

Yep there's your problem. Spliced in a new section of wire and it fired right up.

I'm getting sick of electrical problems in below -20* temperatures.
At least it was light out this time.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and figure out how to raise the idle speed on the MPFI throttle from 750 -> 900 or so RPM.
The 3 cylinder engine lurches around on it's worn out engine mounts quite a bit at 750rpm but is fine at around 900 which I'm sure is what put the stress of added vibration on the wires.