Author Topic: finboy’s 2008 Forester XT Sports 5mt  (Read 3817 times)

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
  • It burns how much gas???
  • Ride: 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sports 5MT
finboy’s 2008 Forester XT Sports 5mt
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:19:32 pm »
2008 forester xt sports with 5mt. Here are some photos I stole from the ad when I bought the car

Mods to date:
-invidia g200 catback
-invidia v3 divorced downpipe
-Perrin uppipe
-Andros spec d wheels 18x8
-Cobb sf intake
-Cobb access port v3
-corbeau front buckets
-Rebuilt OEM block with arp headstuds and tomei headgaskets - install done by caliber automotive in edmonton
-Moroso oil pickup
-tomei adjustable cam gears
-Unknown “race” clutch as denoted on the workform

Mods not yet installed:
-Cobb sf airbox
-sti intercooler
-walbro 255
-Grimmspeed turbo heat shield

Future plans:
-vf turbo
-Grimmspeed ebcs
-protune
Trying to keep fast station wagons from going extinct

My 2008 Forester XT Sports build

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: finboy’s 2008 Forester XT Sports 5mt
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:06:56 pm »
Man, that is an attractive vehicle.  Those Corbeau's fit right in. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:46:23 pm »
Parts gathering ongoing, ran into headache after headache looking for a stock turbo so went for an hta68. I’m still hunting down some injectors, but I’m hoping I can use September long weekend to get everything in place and get a tune in September.

Otherwise, the car has been great, it still runs quite rich, but feels well sorted otherwise. I am a bit worried what the turbo choice will do to my gearbox, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:57 pm »
Welcome to the club.  Beautiful forester!  Is it a us import?

I’d like to hear that g200, I have the g300 on my Fxt sports but am thinking something quieter might be in order.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
That turbo inlet hose looks rather thin....hope it doesn't collapse while turbo is trying to suck air through the intake filter.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:06:38 am »
It’s a Samco, I will try running it for now. Strange thing about the inlets, every brand has threads raving about how good they are, while also having threads about how they all collapse. If this one is no good, it will be back to the drawing board for the next brand.

I’m waiting on some last fiddly parts, and might start the swap in a week or two. I have to get down to vex to pick up some parts for the air pump swap, so I will see if they have anything else I need.

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »
While waiting for some key parts, I decided to tackle a few smaller jobs. I put in the Grimmspeed hood struts because I want a lot of room when I work, and then decided since I was on a roll, I would work on the fuel system.

For the record, I hate working on fuel, the smell, the dry skin, the mess, etc. But since it has been a while since I had to wrench on anything, I figure I would save myself the money I would have paid to someone else. The upside of a forester is that no seat removal is needed, the downside is the entirety of the truck content has to be pulled.

Everything went relatively smooth with the help of some YouTube videos, the only hitch was the walbro being about 5mm longer than the OEM unit, making the pump basically feed directly into the inlet, the hose is pretty much there as a splash guard now. After ample cursing, and some interesting use of a trim removal tool, the assembly went back together and the car was running again.

Next weekend is hopefully the start of the tear down, I scored a garage and picked up a Milwaukee power ratchet and impact gun, and some 2 foot long ratchet wrenches to help deal with some of the tighter spots. Things to do for next weekend, let me know if I missed anything...

-grab injectors and install without removing the manifold (this could require patience)
-adjust the ac lines to fit the new sti intercooler
-reassemble the intercooler y pipes
-swap the turbo and hope like hell I don’t break too many exhaust studs or bolts (spares should arrive this week)
-install the cold air box
-oil change
-remove air pump and block off with vex plates
-replace turbo feed / avcs feed line and get rid of the banjo filter
-put on the new soft turbo inlet when the original tears to bits
-Grimmspeed ebcs installed but not plumbed until it’s on the dyno

The motor was out about 25,000 km ago, so I am hoping nothing should be drastically seized. I wasn’t going to do plugs as they were done before I got the car, worth leaving them in there?

With all this done, I will likely get it towed down to vex/airboy or call them about a baseline tune.

Am I missing anything?

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:41:40 pm »
Photos

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
Were you on 84st tonight with a WRB Forester?

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:07 am »
Wasn’t me, I will grab some photos when the swap is done.

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »
Time for an update, after gathering parts for months, and scoring a garage to work in for a weekend, I finally got some time to work on the car. Unfortunately the day before I was supposed to start, I picked up an awesome fever, which made the entire install a pretty fun experience. Let me start this off by saying, I am not a mechanic, but I thought it best to at least attempt the install and get to know my car, and understand the quality of work performed from the previous owners.

To round up, I got the turbo on (68HTA from a Westernsubaruclub member), installed a samco turbo inlet (the internet is right, this job sucks), and attempted to get some injectors in (850cc bosch injectors from performance fuel injection in high river). I say attempted to get the injectors installed because while I got them in position, I never heard the “click” to hear them engage. From what I have heard so far from Vex, this assumption checked out as it spilled some fuel in their lot already.

Rather than trying to force something beyond my skill set and assume I got everything right, I opted to have VEX performance go over the car before the dyno day with airboy tuning. Based of feedback from a few subie owners, it sounds like this is a good choice. This step is something that I think will be worthwhile as I don’t want to waste anyones time on the dyno day, and would rather know that the car will be in good working order after being inspected by people who work on subarus every day.

Lets begin:

No more turbo, thankfully the engine being out 25K ago meant that I didn’t hit a single seized bolt. I made sure that any exhaust bolt going back on had high heat anti-seize. Surprisingly even the turbo feed line came apart fine, so I have a spare braided line for the future if I need it. Wisely, the previous shop that worked on this motor removed the banjo filter.

Old Vs. New

New turbo in

“Green brakets of death” actually weren’t too bad, the previous shop did not reuse the harder to reach bolts on the back of the head. I will likely modify these slightly to make them easier to reinstall, but I left them off to give Vex easier access to the injectors (along with the short ram intake and air box). This is another area where things differed from various threads, as many said the AC lines were welded to the brackets, in my case they were bolted on.

The injectors, while the stock injectors could likely do what I need for the short term, I wanted to future proof the build a bit, especially as the injectors would be easier to reach when half the motor was apart. A friend of mine with an LS1 240 told me about performance fuel injection, and so far I have been pretty happy with the customer service.

It was at this point below where I really started to question the logic subary had in snaking the inlet through the intake manifold. The stocker did not survive removal, probably for the best that I replaced it. Curiously every soft inlet had a glut of information on “this brand collapses, only buy XXXXXXX brand” which meant that every brand apparently sucks. More on that glut of information later in this post.

And many hours later, with arms looking like they were chewed by small woodland creatures, it is back together for the most part.

Needless to say, after doing the above, I am happy that the car is getting finalized and will hopefully be in good shape after Airboy tunes it.

One thing I did struggle with wasn’t the lack of information, but rather, information overload. I read countless 60+ page threads, all with contradictory information from product types, to ways in which jobs should be done, to year specific issues. While everyone says subarus are like lego, I found my car specifically (07+ forester) had all kinds of “it might be this way” answers. As an example, I was looking at deleting the air pump, but late on Sunday, reading another 60+ page thread from Nasioc, there didn’t seem to be a straight answer on what had to be left in an 07+ car, and was even less detail on foresters specifically (which have small differences from both WRX’s and STi’s). Instead I opted to look at the airpump at a future state, as it was working at the time and I didn’t want to introduce another variable.

This is a clear case where I need to get more involved in the local Subaru community, as a phone a friend option for someone who had done the job before could have helped sift through the noise of online articles and threads.

More updates to come as I hear back from Vex and Airboy, I am looking forward to working with both to get the car back on the road, better than ever.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:10:44 pm »
Did you get that inlet in without pulling the intake manifold? I struggled to slide my inlet just a few inches, I couldn't imagine wiggling it through.

I also agree with the tremendous amount of contradictions on the Subaru forums. One of the best tools I have found is the Subaru of Calgary page on Facebook for quick replies. Their is a couple knowledgeable people always scrolling that are willing to lend you some tips.

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:01:06 am »
It required a lot of patience but it went through, getting the turbo oil drain line on myself was a treat too. good to know about the Facebook page!

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 04:51:42 pm »
Let’s talk today about the story of success and failure.

Vex give me a call yesterday, letting me know that a spot had opened up early to dyno, success! I had made a few rookie mistakes while swapping the turbo, a few fails but easily corrected and the injectors were in. The numbers from the tune were great (301 whp and about 325 tq), success! When I got in, they had completed the tune, but were still hearing an exhaust rattle coming from the downpipe area....

While they are going to investigate, the pesimist in me believes that the turbo I bought might be the source of the issue. Hopefully we will find out tomorrow, but if that is the case, it is going to mean no car for me while I rip it apart. I suspect this will be a sleepless night.

Anyways, details on the noise, it’s coming from the dp/turbo area, increases with rpm and is not the heat shield. #thoughtsandprayers appreciated.

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 03:08:06 pm »

Sound was a loose wastegate arm, turbo is good!

Vex had to retune and they are fixing a leak from the turbo drain, but otherwise...

Run before the wastewater was fixed

And after...

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 03:29:28 pm »
SICK! Congrats on 300+ whp!

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline KiDFINITE

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 03:31:53 pm »
Freaking awesome dude. Congrats!

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 04:32:42 pm »
Thanks guys, now I have to pay this off and start worrying about making the tranny stronger, Ryan had good things to say about the Moore blast plates

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 WRB FSXT
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 11:41:44 pm »
DGM color is so nice!
Awesome work you've done!

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:14 am »
Thanks guys, now I have to pay this off and start worrying about making the tranny stronger, Ryan had good things to say about the Moore blast plates

6MT or bust, don't worry about paying it off  ^-^

Ryan says yours is super clean! I need to see this beast at some point, preferably once mine's back in my hands :) Congrats on the HP numbers!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 02:08:07 pm »

First impressions, definitely not as insta-spool as the Mitsubishi, but it pulls solid from 3k onwards. Still have some remaining post car surgery smells due to oil leaks, but overall it seemed good so far. Bonus, it didn’t catch fire on the way home, which is a win in my opinion.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 02:19:25 pm »
What is going on with your post MAF hose and turbo inlet? One clamp and they over lap eachother?

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:08 pm »
What is going on with your post MAF hose and turbo inlet? One clamp and they over lap eachother?

Playing mix and match with Samco and cobb

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 02:59:10 pm »
First impressions, definitely not as insta-spool as the Mitsubishi...  it didn’t catch fire on the way home, which is a win in my opinion.

What was your previous car? 

It's a bit sad that Subarus have set such a high bar, but I feel the same way after every trip in my car. 

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 03:24:39 pm »
1.6 el, reliable slug