Author Topic: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Sound Dampening Part 2  (Read 18355 times)

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 WRB FSXT
Hi,

Thank you for visiting my brief intro which could be viewed here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=49408.0

I had one goal in mind when I first picked up the vehicle, and the goal was to make it a very good daily driver based on my needs. As the vehicle was really well taken care of by the previous owner, I wanted to do the same (or better) and in the process, make the vehicle feel “young” again. With the help from my friends, family and others, I am grateful in how the vehicle is now today.

*I did NOT fuel up here.*

In no particular order, this is a list of what I’ve done with the vehicle with the goal of a reliable DD.

Suspension & Wheels:
V9 STi Springs
3/8” Saggy Butt Spacers
TiC Scooby921 spacers
KYB AGX Front Struts - (02-03WRX)
KYB AGX Rear Struts (02-03WRX)
KYB Front Strut mounts
KYB Rear Strut mounts
KYB Strut Boots/Bellows
Whiteline 22MM Front Sway
Whiteline 22MM Rear Sway
Whiteline Front End Links
Whiteline Rear End Links
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Mount Kit
Whiteline Lateral Links
Whiteline Rear Sway Mount Brace

Summer: 04 STi BBS Golds wrapped on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - (235/45/R17)
Winter: Stock 08 FXT on Nitto SN2 – (225/45/R17)

Performance:
Stock FXT TD04 Turbo
Stock FXT Injectors
Stock FXT Fuel Pump
Stock FXT Catless uppipe
Invidia V2 3” Catless Downpipe
FXT Specific 3” Stromung Single Tip Catback Exhaust 
Kartboy Exhaust Hangers
Custom Stage 2 Pro Tune by Sunny at Airboy: 191whp, 262wtq on Shell 91

The rest:
COBB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings
Grimmspeed Turbo Heat shield
COBB Short throw Shifter
COBB Shift Knob
JVC KW-V20BT Double Din HU
BlackVue DR750S-2CH
Rally Armors
Max Spider All Weather mats
Hella Supertone Horns
Subimods Hella Horn Bracket and V2 harness
Hella 500 Halogen Fog Lamp Kit
Forester Sport Black Tail Lights
Prolightz Forester LED kit
Large JDM Hood Scoop
Amsoil 5W30
WIX Oil Filter
Amsoil EA Air Filters
Vehicle came with 20% rear Window Tint

S204 STI Polyurethane front lip Spoiler
Hella Super tone horns
Hella 500 Black Magic Driving Lamp Kit
07 STI TMIC
Large JDM Hood Scoop Splitter
Hella Sharp tone horns
Mini 0806 Dash Cam

Black = Installed
Red = Not installed
Strikethrough = removed

Probably missing a few items, but hopefully I will remember them and add it to the list.

Personal Reference Log:

- 70,914 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Jun 19, 2015]
- 71,264 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 71,755 KM - Custom Pro Tune by Sunny at Airboy [Jul 10, 2015]
- 75,631 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters[Nov 11, 2015]
- 78,036 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 82,146 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 09, 2016]
- 84,070 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 87,648 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Oct 15, 2016]
- 90,076 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & Subaru Blue Oil Filter
- 96,042 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 30, 2017]
- 96,042 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 102,074 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 104,685 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Oct 21, 2017]
- 108,146 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 112,355 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 24, 2018]
- 114,002 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 120,090 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 123,609 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Nov 4, 2018]
- 126,346 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 132,185 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 135,689 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 21, 2019]
- 138,016 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 143,929 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 145,120 KM - Timing Belt, Pulleys, AC Belt, Alternator & Power Steering Belt changed with Gates TCK328N, K040337 & K050345.
- 147,684 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Nov 1, 2019]
- 150,094 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 155,573 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 19, 2020]
- 156,017 KM - Oil changed with Amsoil 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 157.249 KM - Transmission and Differential fluid, Brake and Coolant fluids flushed Motul 75W90, Motul Dot 5.1, and Subaru Blue Coolant
- 161,992 KM - Oil changed with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 162,575 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Oct 14, 2020]
- 165,022 KM - Oil changed with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 167,815 KM - Swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 [Apr 10, 2021]
- 170,059 KM - Oil changed with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 174,908 KM - Oil changed with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter
- 174,908 KM - Swapped to Nitto SN2 Winters [Nov 4, 2021]
- 179,963 KM - Oil changed with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 & WIX Oil Filter

Plans for the future? – Go through a few more drive thru’s at McDonalds but other than that, drive it more often and enjoy it as a DD. Unfortunately I am guilty in not driving the vehicle as much as I should have as the odometer currently just rolled over 75,2xxkm.

It still has not sunk in for me to fathom how unique and special this vehicle, how it really is a unicorn. I am flattered by the numerous “is it for sale” inquiries made on the vehicle, but if it is ever going back on the market you'll find it on the FS forum here.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your time. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.

Please scroll down to view my log/photos.

Cheerio’
W.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 03:07:16 pm »
Sadly, I did not take many photos of the Forester in the first few months of ownership, and of course, the photos that were taken, were taken from the good old cell phone.

October 3-4, 2014
One of the first photos taken was during the first night out with the Fozzy when I took it out to visit my friend and his awesome WRB Bugeye. We spent the following Saturday washing the car and I’m pretty sure it was probably the first two bucket wash the Foz has had in a long while, or ever.

October 10, 2014
One of the first “mods” completed on the forester was upgrading the stereo in the car. It was pretty obvious the stock head unit was not pushing out enough power to have adequate sound as any audio sounded super mono. Ended up purchasing a JVC KW-V20BT double din HU as it was cheap, and it had all the functions I needed/wanted (Bluetooth, hands free, 6.1” touch screen, USB capable and Apple iPod ready.) I found the unit perfect for me as the placement/size of buttons as well as the icons looked most normal as compared to the other double din’s on the market. Installation was quick, and of course, had to get the Subaru Specific stereo harness for the unit from Certified Radio, but once it was all installed, it was just a nice feature to have hands free in the vehicle as well as decent audio output.

November 7-14, 2014
Finally had a lot of the parts delivered, and was pretty stoked to have boxes on boxes delivered to my door. Struts, front lip, hood scoop, Invidia downpipe, sway bars, and most of the suspension parts arrived one after another. But there was one box in particular that I was just dying to receive, and it was the exhaust! Decided on the Stromung catback as I didn’t want it super loud, yet I still wanted some good, noticeable, boxer rumble. Plus, I didn’t want to isspay off my neighbors, and it’ll be loud enough during those cold winter starts. Lucked out when I purchased it at the time that I did as the dollar was still reasonable at the time, but hey, it was well worth it now that I have it installed. Made myself look bad in purchasing the double din unit as I had a grin ear-to-ear for weeks from making music myself after the exhaust was installed.

December 3, 2014
More parts shipped and arrived! Subimods had a “sale” and took advantage in getting some hella horns. At the time, the bundle included the harness and mounting bracket so it was nice to have all three items together. I wanted to get the horns as I honestly thought the stock horns sounded very wimpy, and what better choice than to go to some hellas which you can definitely grab drivers attention when you honk at them. Oddly enough, as I was a fan of the loudness of the horns, I was not a fan of the “German-esque” tone the Hella Supertone emitted so I swapped it for some Sharptones for a more “deeper” “North American” tone.

March 10, 2015
I missed getting photos of the install of Rally Armors, but I’m sure we all know what Rally Armors are and how they’re installed. Aside from Rally Armors as the first exterior “mod” done, I had to change the tail lights. I didn’t really like the chrome look in the rear as I thought it attracted too much attention… (the irony... ) In all honesty, I just didn’t like how the chrome looked. So picked up some blacked out tail lights and swapped out the chrome!

April 2015 – June 2015
Now that spring has arrived, it was time to get started on the "major" transformation. Sadly, I did not take any photos during the suspension swap, and if I did, it would have just been photos of the car on jack stands in the garage. With wanting to do most of the work myself, I had limited success as being a regular Joe, I did not have most of the tools/resources/knowledge/skills to get the job done in a quick/efficient matter, and most importantly, have it done correctly. But, I had a lot of help from family and friends which were a bonus as multiple minds working together are better than one. Also, finding time to work on the vehicle outside of work was a bit of a challenge as well.

First thing to do in the spring was to lower the Forester. Had the April 4, 2015 weekend circled on my calendar since Christmas of 2014, and luckily weather was cooperative that weekend, as well as it was a Easter long. But, let’s get to the important matter – let’s see the results! Below are photos of the before and after:

Unfortunately I do not recall the EXACT measurement but stock height should be was around:
Front:
•   Centre wheel cap to wheel well was 17.0” and
•   Ground to wheel well was approximately 28.75”
Rear:
•   Centre wheel cap to wheel well was 17.0”
•   Ground to wheel well was approximately 27.75”

(If someone wouldn't mind measuring their stock height on their SG9 that would be awesome, thanks!)
*EDIT: Stock measurements above were attained from a stock 2007 FXT.

After the suspension install with 3/8” saggy butt spacers, with the STi Springs settling, and running on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - (235/45/R17), measurements now stand at:
Front:
•   Centre wheel cap to wheel well at 14.5” and
•   Ground to wheel well at approximately 26.25”
Rear:
•   Centre wheel cap to wheel well at 14.0”
•   Ground to wheel well at approximately 26.0”

The front bumper sits about 8" off of the ground, with one of the plastic guards in front of the wheels measuring about 7" from the ground.
*The KYB AGX with STi springs set up should result in an approximate 2.5” drop in the front and 2.75” drop in the rear as per the guide I followed on subaruforester.org.

June 19, 2015
I had the majority of the work done (specifically the rear suspension) by the help of a fellow WSC member (Thank you again!) as I did not have the resources to tackle the job. The lateral links were a pain, and at this point I just wanted the car to be done. As you can see here with the stock rear struts, there was so much room in that wheel well a family of kittens could have called that rear wheel well home, or birds... or squirrels.. or [enter animal here.]

July 2, 2015
Once all the goodies were installed an appointment booking with Sunny was immediately scheduled. But first, had to get the car aligned so I could make it down the QE2 without having my hands at the 11 and 4 O’clock position. Snapped some photos of the rear of the car and can see most of the upgraded rear suspension bits, as well as the Stromung exhaust while it is still relatively clean.

July 10, 2015
Dyno Day! Got down to Airboy to visit Sunny for the tune and he did a fantastic job. Nothing but great things to say about him as he diligently went through the car for the tune. I honestly did not know what to expect out of the process as it was my first time experiencing something like this. Didn’t know what to expect for final numbers out of the tune either, but at the end of the day, the number is just a number. I told Sunny my goals for the vehicle and asked him to work his magic, so he helped create the best daily driver tune for the fozzy and as a result - 191whp and 262wtq.

September 19, 2015
Now that the Forester is tuned and I have driven it for a few months now, it is basically complete for me. There was one thing missing that I wanted to do which was to add the hella driving lamps because the FSXT did not have fog lamps. I came across the hella black magic driving lamps and as I wanted to mount them behind the grille as there was so much room back there. I also liked the fact that the black magic has a black housing to keep the lights a little more discrete... or at least I think it does.

I followed a guide from subaruforester.org (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/internal-aluminum-light-bar-my03-08-build-thread-67412/) and it worked perfectly. In summary, the Forester already has the stock fog light wiring harness built in behind the bumper so all we needed to do was to purchase some 9006 bulb connectors, micro relay and an OEM switch to hook up the hella lights. I ended up using some galvanized angle iron purchased from Home Depot to mount the lights on and so far I’m happy with the end result.

Now that I have most of the items I wanted done to the Forester, done… I don’t believe I have any more items planned for the forester. Maybe toy with the audio in the spring (front speaker upgrade, possibly a small sub?) But if I do, I’ll be sure to add it to this thread.
Again, thanks for reading up to this point, and I hope you’ve enjoyed it so far.

Regards,

W.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 03:07:32 pm »
Photo's by Andre Ng Photo - http://www.andrengphoto.com/ on the summer of 2015.

For more info please visit http://www.andrengphoto.com/ or contact http://www.andrengphoto.com/contact/

Offline kehuynh

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 03 Crown Estate ATH V, 04 Crown Athlete EX: 90 Mazda MX-5, 03 Infiniti M45
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:33:26 pm »
Gorgeous forester! I'm pretty sure I've seen this around Edmonton.

Offline k_habashi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STi
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 09:07:09 pm »
Sweet XT! Going to be following this build thread now  :D  Interested to hear how that Stromung catback sounds...

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2008 Forester XT and 2014 Forester
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:40 am »
I'm jealous you have a rear spoiler...  :(
Not all the FXT's came with one.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:25:39 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words,

Sweet XT! Going to be following this build thread now  :D  Interested to hear how that Stromung catback sounds...

I believe it sounds very similar to the COBB exhaust. Stromung is a parent company of COBB IIRC.

Also, new entries/photos added.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:17:15 am »
Nice to see you got yourself a build thread. Look forward to seeing what you do

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:23 am »
So.... is it for sale?

Jokes. (But let me know if you ever do decide to sell it  :angel:)

Very nice Forester! Absolute beauty!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 06:59:58 am »
So.... is it for sale?

Ditto. It'd be a good 4Runner replacement, because WRB is best colour.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:46 am »
Glad to see this build thread. What a beauty 8)

Are you driving this in the winter this year?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
Glad to see this build thread. What a beauty 8)

Are you driving this in the winter this year?

I plan to drive it occasionally this winter and continue the "routine" of at least 1-2 times a week. I'm looking forward to drive it when there is a fresh dump of powder/after a real good snowfall. Although I've heard it may be a "warm winter" this year for us, the El Nino as they say, so might be getting a lot of slush weather. I hope that's not the case as the slush just makes everything so nasty on the roads.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:56 am »
Looks great bigdark.   we need to meetup, I want to get a closer look at your car and hear that stromung.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 09:47:03 am »
So.... is it for sale?

Ditto. It'd be a good 4Runner replacement, because WRB is best colour.

I wish I could've heard the Stromung when you were at VEX that time! Looking forward to your updates, so.much.jealous.
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 09:01:16 pm »
Looks great bigdark.   we need to meetup, I want to get a closer look at your car and hear that stromung.

I wish I could've heard the Stromung when you were at VEX that time! Looking forward to your updates, so.much.jealous.

Yeah for sure. I'm in the city almost all the time so throw a shout when you're in town, or if you visit those Wednesday evening BP meets (assuming those go an all year around.)
Thinking to get a video of the exhaust... I have is the dash cam, which could show what it's like in cabin... Maybe I'll prop up my cell phone one morning for a cold start.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Winter Mode
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »
November 11, 2015

I guess I'll use this post as a "log" to keep track of when I swapped the tires. 75,631KM

Swapped out the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on Remembrance day for the Nitto SN2's to officially prepare for winter.
I forgot what the Forester looked like with the stock wheels, and once the stock's were on it looked slightly more lowered. I confirmed that my eyes were playing tricks as measuring tapes do not lie.. still at 14.5” front and 13.75” rear at centre wheel cap to wheel well.

Photos brought to you by the trustworthy cell phone, supported by awesome angle placement.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »
How do you like the A/S 3's? They're what I'm planning on picking up in the spring for my fozzy, except 235/50R17 instead of 45 because its closer to stock diameter.

What size are your snow tires? They look undersized considering the 235/45R17's are already 3.3% smaller diameter than stock.

NVM read it from your mod list 225/45R17, they're 4.7% smaller than the oem diameter.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/forester/2008/

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »
Do you have the whiteline bump steer & roll center correction kit? I find it makes a very noticeable improvement on a lowered car.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:01:16 pm »
How do you like the A/S 3's? They're what I'm planning on picking up in the spring for my fozzy, except 235/50R17 instead of 45 because its closer to stock diameter.

What size are your snow tires? They look undersized considering the 235/45R17's are already 3.3% smaller diameter than stock.

NVM read it from your mod list 225/45R17, they're 4.7% smaller than the oem diameter.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/forester/2008/

So far I like the A/S 3’s quite a bit. They feel comfortable on Edmonton roads and I don’t notice any road noise (highway or city) from them. They seem pretty good in the rain, in the times I’ve driven in the rain, and I’m a fan of the large treads as very few pebbles/rocks get stuck in there so that means no annoying pebble asphalt clapping music. 

*Photo from google

Hopefully there are other drivers out there with the same tires so they can provide a more in-depth, valuable review, as I can only attest to about 4,700KM of usage on the A/S 3’s, and of those 4,700KM, about 1500KM were highway. Sorry if this post is not of much help to you. :(

As for the 225/45/17 Nitto's, I had them on last year over winter and the size seems fine. Don't notice a huge difference in handling but of course there is a difference in the speedometer reading as compared to being on stock 215/55/17's.
"speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 56.9mph (91.6km/h): 5.2% slower." - as per rimsntires.com

Do you have the whiteline bump steer & roll center correction kit? I find it makes a very noticeable improvement on a lowered car.

I do not have the Whiteline bump steer & roll center correction kit (KCA313.) I have heard it does help on a lowered car, but honestly I drove the Forester so little this year I don’t think I’d notice the difference if it was on or not... plus it’s only city driving as well. Maybe I’ll include it in the future if I need to replace the balljoints/tire rods but what’s left of the stock suspension seems to be in good shape so far. Thanks for the heads up though!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 12:19:02 am »
Nice setup.  I would've liked an XT like yours.

And the Stromungs..  I wonder how your sound compares to mine? :D
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:44 am »
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »
Detailing write-up can be seen here.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=50136.0

A big thanks to Stephen for the awesome work you did on the Forester! Completely blown away on how the vehicle turned out and to see how shiny it is. Thanks!  :)

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 08:27:34 pm »
Earlier this month I had a chance to head out to Lake Louise and Sunshine for a Ski/Board trip. We took two SUV's for 8 people plus gear/cargo and had a fantastic 3 day weekend. Loaded up the Forester with 4 passengers and some gear (boots, helmets, bins, bags, etc.) while the other SUV carried the Boards/Skis and the remaining passengers/goodies.

On the way back into town, it had got me thinking of maybe getting a Roof Cargo box to carry the Board/Ski's up top along with some other "soft" items while still having the ability to carry 4 passengers. Luckily, a family member had a sparsely used Yakima Load Ranger box sitting around. Even though the box is more than 10 years old, it's still in pretty good shape, and luckily it clamps on pretty good on the OEM Forester Cross Bars. I believe the Yakima Load Ranger is about 87" in length so, I decided to throw it up on the Forester earlier this week to test how it would fit.

The box looks like a good length between the hatch and windshield but it's about an inch too long for my liking. I tried to move the set up as far as I could to the front of the car to gain more room in the rear for the spoiler as I prefer to have my hatch open up all the way instead of "almost full", but that's as far forward as it'll go. Plus, I don't think I should have the front cross bars positioned that far near the front as it's currently sitting approximately on top of the front driver/passenger door handle.

Box Off

Box On

The set up works, but unfortunately I'm picky with the hatch clearance. I do prefer a slimmer, more low profile cargo box though. So most likely I'll pass this Yakima Load Ranger back to my family member and maybe I'll keep an eye out for a slimmer cargo box that can still hold Ski's and boards up to 180cm. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »
I've got a Thule Boxter.. it's about 87" long too, but it's cavernous inside.  Dev has the Sonic Alpine and it looks even longer, according to the Thule site. 

The Force Alpine 623 might be a little better fit, as it's 81.5" long and fits skis up to 192cm.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline BrebSTi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Layla ('06 STi) - SOLD
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:45 am »
Wow, just wow. I love the FXT, really nice work on it. I was in Edmonton this past weekend, I was staying with a buddy in butteworth area. I think it was parked outside a house just around the corner. Looks even better in person if it was yours, if not there is another WRB FXT that looks good in Edmonton.