Author Topic: 2019 Formula 1  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
Re: 2019 Formula 1
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:24 am »
*cough*

Yeah yeah yeah, never said it wasn't going to happen. I still think Wolff taking so long meant there was always a possibility for Ocon.
Never saw Hulk being pushed out of Renault as all the articles I read pointed to him staying with Renault. I think Wolff worked behind the scenes to get Ocon a decent ride so he had an easy decision at the end of the day, plus Ocon gets to prove his worth. I think it works out well for everyone.

Anyway, as we see to have agreed to, goodbye Grosjean and Kubica.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »
Very shortly I expect we'll hear about Haas signing Hulk.

Quote from: Rathburn
Nico can suck kmags balls from the same team

https://youtu.be/-GSnl0CIb3c?t=199
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2019, 05:59:01 pm »
Just speechless, I know it was a freak accident but still, its 2019. Kids should not be dying in formula racing.

DaDuke99

« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2019, 06:57:46 pm »
Just speechless, I know it was a freak accident but still, its 2019. Kids should not be dying in formula racing.
Goes with the territory really.. Nobody wants to be stationary in front of those missiles, wrong place wrong time... Tragic nonetheless

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
Tragic accident. It was nice to see the win dedicated to it.

It was nice to see Leclerc finally win, but I think another lap and Hamilton might've had him

I was disappointed to see Verstappen taken out so early, but I don't think anyone blames Raikkonen for it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2019, 10:43:55 am »
Tragic accident. It was nice to see the win dedicated to it.

It was nice to see Leclerc finally win, but I think another lap and Hamilton might've had him

I was disappointed to see Verstappen taken out so early, but I don't think anyone blames Raikkonen for it.

Definitely a huge win for Leclerc and Ferrari, but for sure, another couple laps and Hamilton probably would have had him.

Verstappen needs to remember that when another driver is ahead, they don't have to leave room on the inside. Also, the less we see of Jos, the more we'll see Max improve.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2019, 11:45:16 am »
Definitely a huge win for Leclerc and Ferrari, but for sure, another couple laps and Hamilton probably would have had him.

Verstappen needs to remember that when another driver is ahead, they don't have to leave room on the inside. Also, the less we see of Jos, the more we'll see Max improve.

Either another couple of laps or a better/earlier pit stop and he probably would have had him either way.

I wouldn’t be so quick to assign blame to Max. He was overtaking the Racing Point who was then squeezed out by Kimi. Max had every right to be there based on the car that was next to him, not two cars over lol. Either way, it’s nice to see that the stewards have just been letting the boys race without assigning penalties for any bit of contact.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »
I wouldn’t be so quick to assign blame to Max. He was overtaking the Racing Point who was then squeezed out by Kimi. Max had every right to be there based on the car that was next to him, not two cars over lol. Either way, it’s nice to see that the stewards have just been letting the boys race without assigning penalties for any bit of contact.

Disagree.

Based on the car that was next to Max: Kimis front wheels were ahead, Kimi had the corner. It's up to Max to back out when Kimi was ahead of him. Regardless of who was passing who, Kimi was ahead in the corner. Max went inside Kimi into what was only ever going to be a disappearing gap. Max also had to violate the track limits to pass, so it's not like it was gonna stick anyways. They didn't bother with a penalty because Max retired.

Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2019, 03:45:12 pm »
Kimis front wheels were ahead, Kimi had the corner. It's up to Max to back out when Kimi was ahead of him. Regardless of who was passing who, Kimi was ahead in the corner. Max went inside Kimi into what was only ever going to be a disappearing gap. Max also had to violate the track limits to pass, so it's not like it was gonna stick anyways. They didn't bother with a penalty because Max retired.

Yeah I agree, it was Kimi's racing line as he was ahead, though I think Max thought he would yield to him and going outside track limits was him trying to avoid the unavoidable at that point.

Otherwise I thought it was a fairly routine race that favoured the higher speed Ferraris. Vettel basically said after that he did enough to keep Lewis from catching Leclerc as I would agree that Lewis had a good chance if the race was another lap or two.

As for the F2 crash, eau rouge and the radillion complex are probably the most dangerous pieces of track on a modern circuit outside of an oval. I have been watching racing close to 30 years and I have seen a lot of bad accidents there (Pietro Fittapaldi last year in WEC as an example) and improvements have been made, but it is still not good enough. You would never see a brand new track with such little run off area, though my understanding is that the slope of the embankment makes it hard to retrofit. I mean I love that section but if it cannot be corrected it may be time to completely rebuild the area or reconfigure the track.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2019, 11:32:54 am »

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2019, 01:19:11 pm »
Boggles my mind he got a win.

Probably paid for that too.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2019, 01:50:49 pm »
Great race for LeClerc, really got the monkey off his back with the win in Spa. No idea what is going on with Vettel though. Had a huge sad for Kimi after watching the disaster that was Q3 of qualifying.

In other news, we all knew this was just a matter of time:
https://jalopnik.com/haas-f1-is-done-with-rich-energy-1837979508

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2019, 01:10:36 pm »
I was really hoping they'd penalize the Top 9 qualifiers after Q3 and we'd get an Alfa front row haha.

Surprised to see Renault do so well at this one. Maybe a turning point for them.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:38 am »
I was really hoping they'd penalize the Top 9 qualifiers after Q3 and we'd get an Alfa front row haha.

Surprised to see Renault do so well at this one. Maybe a turning point for them.

I thought Hulkenberg & Sainz deserved blocking penalties. Stroll maybe should have just got a slap on the wrist, which was basically what he got.
Anyway, as the stewards said the FIA needs to find a resolution to this funny business and this is not the first time this has happened, just the worst time.

I dunno, might have to go to some sort of shootout type of qualifying (30 seconds between cars, teammates won't go in order, min out lap times) to get rid of the teams trying to do the tow.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2019, 01:15:58 pm »
Disagree.

Based on the car that was next to Max: Kimis front wheels were ahead, Kimi had the corner. It's up to Max to back out when Kimi was ahead of him. Regardless of who was passing who, Kimi was ahead in the corner. Max went inside Kimi into what was only ever going to be a disappearing gap. Max also had to violate the track limits to pass, so it's not like it was gonna stick anyways. They didn't bother with a penalty because Max retired.

Lol the pics you posted are quite convenient for your side of the argument. Let’s back it up a little, shall we?

First image, Max is pulling ahead of the Racing Point, who is behind Kimi, who is of no concern of Max at this point.
Second image, Max is nearly wheel-to-wheel with Kimi. There is more than a car’s width, but that quickly disappears when Kimi cuts over in front of Max, presumably to tuck himself inside of the Mercedes.
I think the stewards would have been hard pressed to assess Max a penalty or deem him at fault based on this, had he been able to continue in the race - a “racing incident” is the correct assessment in my opinion.

To this past weekend now, despite it not resulting in a crash, I’d say that Leclerc would have been more deserving of a penalty for running Lewis wide and onto the escape route than what has been discussed above, but again - I am glad he didn’t get one. Leclerc put up a defensive clinic and hearing the crowd before he rounded the parabolica on the final lap should give any fan chills, regardless of what team you follow. Great racing.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2019, 02:29:33 pm »
Lol the pics you posted are quite convenient for your side of the argument. Let’s back it up a little, shall we?

First image, Max is pulling ahead of the Racing Point, who is behind Kimi, who is of no concern of Max at this point.
Second image, Max is nearly wheel-to-wheel with Kimi. There is more than a car’s width, but that quickly disappears when Kimi cuts over in front of Max, presumably to tuck himself inside of the Mercedes.
I think the stewards would have been hard pressed to assess Max a penalty or deem him at fault based on this, had he been able to continue in the race - a “racing incident” is the correct assessment in my opinion.

To this past weekend now, despite it not resulting in a crash, I’d say that Leclerc would have been more deserving of a penalty for running Lewis wide and onto the escape route than what has been discussed above, but again - I am glad he didn’t get one. Leclerc put up a defensive clinic and hearing the crowd before he rounded the parabolica on the final lap should give any fan chills, regardless of what team you follow. Great racing.

Still having some trouble with your argument. Why bring up the Racing Point?

Kimi was ahead of Max at all times; Max was never level, not even close to wheel to wheel, which is why Kimi doesn't see him. Kimi was trying to go inside the Merc, get's hit by Max. Max, if he had continued, would likely have gotten an penalty for causing a collision. Look at the second picture I posted, look at Max's wheels and trajectory, he was never gonna make that corner inside Kimi. Collision like that is not a racing incident. A racing incident is swapping some paint or tire scuffs, maybe damaging a front wing. Knocking a car onto two wheels is much more severe.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2019, 05:10:29 pm »
"Nearly wheel to wheel" is hardly correct when there's half a car length from front wheel to front wheel.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2019, 07:32:12 am »
The Racing Point is relevant because it was separating Max and Kimi before Kimi moved over and squeezed it out, which he continued to do, even with Max beside him.
And “nearly wheel to wheel” is a hell of a lot more accurate than you acting like Max came out of nowhere and torpedoed him. He was literally right beside him.

But ok.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2019, 08:32:09 am »
First time I posted about it. However, now that I've started, put your head in a hans device and yourself in a race situation and tell me you're looking sideways at a critical point in a corner. You don't.

We used to lean our bikes on the guy inside the race line before the apex. Rub a bit of paint and hope his front wheel doesn't take your rear out. At best you had a fraction of a second to think "stupid untcay". There was no way Max was going to win that corner from a veteran racer. He's no innocent and should have known better than to risk it. I thought he'd learned something by now.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2019, 08:58:34 am »
First time I posted about it. However, now that I've started, put your head in a hans device and yourself in a race situation and tell me you're looking sideways at a critical point in a corner. You don't.

We used to lean our bikes on the guy inside the race line before the apex. Rub a bit of paint and hope his front wheel doesn't take your rear out. At best you had a fraction of a second to think "stupid untcay". There was no way Max was going to win that corner from a veteran racer. He's no innocent and should have known better than to risk it. I thought he'd learned something by now.

I read an interesting opinion piece regarding Max's passing techniques, and the idea that it usually works when the other driver blinks or hesitates otherwise the cars will likely connect. I just wanted a video of a good defense by Perez on Max, and basically you have to take away the aggressive line before the corner. It's one of the more interesting driving techniques out there and basically he is willing to take risks that other drives will not because they fear they would be put off, makes for entertaining races, which is what the sport wants.

You are right Kimi couldn't even see him in that location neither in his mirror or turning his head. Max before the corner turn in was out of position for the corner and was in Kimi's blind spot.

There has also been commentary on how the newer drivers are more aggressive than in the past, or possibly doing things that are considered unsportsmanlike, like Leclerc blocking Hamilton. The teams all agreed to the black and white flag approach. It sounds as though F1, the FIA and the constructors are really trying hard to make a more entertaining race by doing these things. I wonder how far they can go with this kind of thing before something goes wrong.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2019, 11:22:04 am »
The Racing Point is relevant because it was separating Max and Kimi before Kimi moved over and squeezed it out, which he continued to do, even with Max beside him.
And “nearly wheel to wheel” is a hell of a lot more accurate than you acting like Max came out of nowhere and torpedoed him. He was literally right beside him.

But ok.

Never said he came out of nowhere and torpedoed him, just that from his positioning and trajectory, he wasn't gonna make the corner.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:05 pm »
I read an interesting opinion piece regarding Max's passing techniques, and the idea that it usually works when the other driver blinks or hesitates otherwise the cars will likely connect.

It's one of the more interesting driving techniques out there and basically he is willing to take risks that other drives will not because they fear they would be put off, makes for entertaining races, which is what the sport wants.

I have to say I was not a Max fan when he first came in, but his driving has got a lot better and I have become a fan. However, he still tries these dive bombs up the inside, off the racing line, early in the race that are useless and only causing him to have damage to his car (regardless if he should get a penalty or not). If he just let the race come to him he would be in a much better position to move up the rankings when he starts from further behind and it would still be super entertaining to watch then him busting up his wing and having to pit and watch him passing Williams for the first 4 or 5 laps.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2019, 02:30:54 pm »
So I guess they are going to a mini-sprint race to determine qualifying for next year, but details are yet to be ironed out.
Could be quite interesting but also ruin a lot of teams weekend if things go bad in the qualifying race.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1177572/F1-qualifying-axed-2020-Ferrari-Matteo-Binotto-mini-race

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2019, 03:29:41 pm »
So I guess they are going to a mini-sprint race to determine qualifying for next year, but details are yet to be ironed out.
Could be quite interesting but also ruin a lot of teams weekend if things go bad in the qualifying race.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1177572/F1-qualifying-axed-2020-Ferrari-Matteo-Binotto-mini-race

LOL, Daily Express article? Maybe when a more credible source reports it, I'll buy into it.

This is a line in one of their other F1 articles:
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has fired a fierce warning to Valtteri Bottas after he was beaten by Lewis Hamilton at the Italian Grand Prix.