Author Topic: FS Rules  (Read 10444 times)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Re: FS Rules
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »
I believe there are times where a structured format should be deemed mandatory.  I deal with a parts list that at times seems innumerable,  and standardized formats are required to ensure that the correct parts get to those who require them,  in a time frame that fits the need. This structure is needed because a companies survival partially depends satisfying that demand.

I do not think that the same formatting should be applied to a FS thread on an internet forum though.  We have all been on Kijiji and know what helps move a product faster than others (pictures,  details, PN's),  and indeed it may annoy some folks that the details that they immediately prioritize at the top are not presented in a manor they prefer. 

In other instances we have applauded the creativity of some kijiji adds that are nothing more than a creative expression,  with little to no detail about the product in question.  I think when we as a whole take this forum as seriously as a business, and start to apply the same reasoning to it, we start to drain the fun and individuality that initially drew a group of individuals with common interests to it.   

A poster should have the ability to present an object that they have for sale in any way they choose as long as it isn't intentionally fraudulent.  It really is no skin off anyone's nose other than the OP's own.     An opportunity wasted or not;  the reality is that if a person is interested in the item for sale,  there will be followup regardless.  I personally do not care what value someone has on my posts,  and I don't weep if it is not held to someone else's standard. This forum,  including items I may be attempting to sell, is an expression of myself and how I wish to present myself to other members.  As long as I am not intentionally offending anyone,  I am not accountable for what a reader may deem a waste of time.

Further to that,  the Mods have better things to do than ensure the rules of a specific thread format are followed. 

Just my .05$

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 05:39:24 pm »
I agree that we should not mandate a strict format, however, I do not think that is the same as requiring some basic information to be present. The FS section is not a fun section, it isn't a community section, it's purpose is to allow both contributing members and lurkers/vultures to buy and sell parts.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
I agree that we should not mandate a strict format, however, I do not think that is the same as requiring some basic information to be present. The FS section is not a fun section, it isn't a community section, it's purpose is to allow both contributing members and lurkers/vultures to buy and sell parts.

I just think that photo's aren't essential when a quick google can give you the same thing. If parts are unique or damaged, then great, a photo will really help clear up any confusion, but for the majority of parts... nice, but not needed.

Price, on the other hand... and any limitations on shipping, etc, should be mandatory. Links to a Kijiji ad can also GTFO.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
A photo requirement can be relaxed but none of this "email me for pics" crap. If you have pics, post them. If you don't, be prepared to get them.

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: e39
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 05:49:11 pm »
A photo requirement can be relaxed but none of this "email me for pics" crap. If you have pics, post them. If you don't, be prepared to get them.

uh wut. you just posted a for sale thread saying to email for pics

Email or text me for prices and pics.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »
In my opinion the fs thread carrys no more weight to it than the funny pictures thread. If the pictures don't make me laugh, do I have the entitlement to ask that they follow a format? That is an extreme overstatement I realize, but I feel everyone is putting too much weight on a small fs thread on a tiny forum.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

thats what we call a joke...

he's ridiculing all this FS forum itshay lately

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »

I take it you're new to sarcasm.

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
thats what we call a joke...

he's ridiculing all this FS forum itshay lately
I take it you're new to sarcasm.

what a knee slapper.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 06:13:32 pm »
his next words are literally "no really,..." and then explains condition and price.

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
his next words are literally "no really,..." and then explains condition and price.

still has no pics

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '18 Golf R
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:48 pm »
still has no pics
It's relaxed. I am sure 95% of us can assume what they look like. Used, stock endlinks and sways.
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »
Just an observation here. The initial topic of adding guidelines seems to have degenerated to useless banter, and most everyone here seems ok with it too. Unfortunately this is the case with many threads here. So why again are we trying to replace kijiji with a WSC FS thread?

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:01 pm »
what a knee slapper.

Don't worry, high brow humor isn't for everyone.

still has no pics

Nope. I can provide them if needed and will post some when I'm in the same city as the parts. If the rules said I'd need them, I'd have taken some before I posted the parts.

The pic requirement can obviously be relaxed to address the specific needs of WSC. However, the rest of the requirements (price, seller location, description of parts, etc) should still be mandatory. No price, no ad. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to provide a certain amount of information if they want to use WSC to sell or buy parts. It's no different than requiring people to post in the correct (FS or WTB) section. Some structure is good.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »
The pic requirement can obviously be relaxed to address the specific needs of WSC. However, the rest of the requirements (price, seller location, description of parts, etc) should still be mandatory. No price, no ad. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to provide a certain amount of information if they want to use WSC to sell or buy parts. It's no different than requiring people to post in the correct (FS or WTB) section. Some structure is good.

How would this be moderated?  Would there have to be a submission process for adds to ensure they make spec?

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 06:46:29 pm »
Easy, user moderated. Users can report ads that don't follow the rules. The idea of a FS moderator was thrown around. I nominate snackers.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »
Even the rigid format of kijiji allows for a "contact seller" option.  You have the option there to either follow up or move on.  Is it a reasonable expectation that the price is listed,  yes.  Is it the right of the browser to be presented with the information, no.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »
Nobody is talking about rights. This is a forum, not a public venue. The forum can decide what rules it wants. Sellers don't have a right to sell on WSC either.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »
Nobody is talking about rights. This is a forum, not a public venue. The forum can decide what rules it wants. Sellers don't have a right to sell on WSC either.

You are correct; It's more about entitlement. 

The forum can do what it wants to as far as rules are concerned,  but the members are the forum.  Any rules added beside the ones opposing intentional offensive posts,  are bound to have those opposed to those rules.  What makes one opinion on a forum hold more value than another?  I for one,  dont see any value to delegating a Mod to babysit a set of threads,  looking for a specific structure that may only appease a few. 

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:57 pm »
Well it sounds like quite a few people, the members of the forum, are for FS rules.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 07:20:59 pm »
If by quite a few people you mean the participants in this thread, then you may be correct.  Until the numbers are in I'll not make any assumptions. I am only giving my opinion here,  and I feel there is enough moderation on this forum already. 

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »
A number of people voiced their support in the previous thread as well.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:32 pm »
Being that the threads were started with the express purpose of applying new rules to the forum,  the numbers would be considered anecdotal at best. 

Offline turbospeed

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 wrx ssm hatch
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:54 pm »
You are correct; It's more about entitlement. 

The forum can do what it wants to as far as rules are concerned,  but the members are the forum.  Any rules added beside the ones opposing intentional offensive posts,  are bound to have those opposed to those rules.  What makes one opinion on a forum hold more value than another?  I for one,  dont see any value to delegating a Mod to babysit a set of threads,  looking for a specific structure that may only appease a few.

Well the purpose a format for selling is to protect both parties involved, more the seller by having proper pictures, name location and contact info. No on should have a problem with that, honestly entitlement and majority go out the window the forum moderators would have the rules set and if you don't like it then don't sell on this forum and if its not correct then it's locked and deactivated until its corrected. My 0.02

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
Being that the threads were started with the express purpose of applying new rules to the forum,  the numbers would be considered anecdotal at best.

OK, do we really need to do a poll for this kind of suggestion? When has any change on WSC, or any forum for that matter, been done democratically?