Author Topic: FS Rules  (Read 10430 times)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Re: FS Rules
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »
Well the purpose of a format applied to the FS threads for selling is to protect both parties involved., More for the seller by having proper pictures, name location and contact info. No one should have a problem with that., Honestly, entitlement and majority go out the window if the forum moderators would have the rules set. and If you don't like it then don't sell on this forum, and if its not correct then it's locked and deactivated until its corrected. My $0.02

There is more of a proved point to my corrections than just being a jerk.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 07:58:17 pm »
OK, do we really need to do a poll for this kind of suggestion?

Nope,  I guess we just need you and a handful of others to suggest it.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
OK, how else would you propose that change come about on WSC? Everyone just sit around and not suggest changes they think would make the site better? Should we send out ballots to every registered member? This isn't the first time this topic has come up and it has been talked about in meets and social gatherings as well. Most forums have FS rules.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »
Amby,  I know you want to make the site better.  I haven't any issue with that.  It is a differing of opinions is all.  I disagree with additional moderation as a whole. Aside from intentionally offensive posts or name calling,  I think that we should all be able to moderate ourselves.  I am generally opposed to the nanny state.

The only benefit I see to moderating the FS threads is that the reader gets the info they want spoon fed to them. I agree that this is a reasonable expectation as well.  However,  if I am posting something that I have for sale,  then I should have the option of putting it on the forum the way I see fit.  The forum should not be responsible for hand holding and ensuring the item gets sold, or that the reader doesn't have to actually ask someone a question or two.  Heaven forbid we actually have to communicate with one another.  We are all big girls and boys and should be able to take responsibility for posting,  selling and buying.

Websites that are in the business of moving items (Kijiji, ebay) do not put these requirements on sellers.  Contact information is usually more than enough to fill the minimum requirements.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 08:30:17 pm »
A number of people voiced their support in the previous thread as well.

... the same people.

;)
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:59 pm »
I think additional moderation would be a good thing given that we currently only have two active moderators on this site. Asking someone if they would be willing to volunteer to moderate the FS section, which wouldn't be a big deal anyways, should hardly be the reason why WSC doesn't move forward like other forums and have some rules.

This isn't about hand-holding or spoon-feeding, this is about keeping WSC respectable. It seems like a disturbingly large proportion of FS ads are from people with 0 posts who simply like to other FS ads, or offer vague descriptions with calls to email them or PM them for more info. I think that's stupid and counterproductive to the whole community atmosphere WSC seems to want to promote. It's also a reason why FS ads get filled with posts.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »
If you guys are done having your pitched battle about "the meaning of the word 'is'", can I just butt in to say.

"We hear the call that it's time for more moderation than we're currently doing in the FS forums"
"We're taking your input on rules and having a discussion."
"Yes, it will likely require another moderator."

You may now continue your argument.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »
<crickets>

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »
If these are Australian crickets, I'm scared.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:42 pm »
If these are Australian crickets, I'm scared.
... got a nasty kick

Offline turbospeed

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 wrx ssm hatch
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:55 pm »
Amby,  I know you want to make the site better.  I haven't any issue with that.  It is a differing of opinions is all.  I disagree with additional moderation as a whole. Aside from intentionally offensive posts or name calling,  I think that we should all be able to moderate ourselves.  I am generally opposed to the nanny state.

The only benefit I see to moderating the FS threads is that the reader gets the info they want spoon fed to them. I agree that this is a reasonable expectation as well.  However,  if I am posting something that I have for sale,  then I should have the option of putting it on the forum the way I see fit.  The forum should not be responsible for hand holding and ensuring the item gets sold, or that the reader doesn't have to actually ask someone a question or two.  Heaven forbid we actually have to communicate with one another.  We are all big girls and boys and should be able to take responsibility for posting,  selling and buying.

Websites that are in the business of moving items (Kijiji, ebay) do not put these requirements on sellers.  Contact information is usually more than enough to fill the minimum requirements.

I understand what you are saying buuut, this is not a matter of moderating ourselves nor is it spoon feeding its giving the buyer the benefit of the doubt to see ALL the info in a nice neat and concise format. Would you pick person a who is selling items x in a "whatever" type format or person b who has a nice laid out format that took the time disclose all info right at the beginning? It makes a sale go quicker possibly and shows that you care.
Also, having a buyer and seller feedback scoring system would help as well IMO

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »
Also, having a buyer and seller feedback scoring system would help as well IMO

i actually like this idea a lot. also on rs25.com if you have a lot of negative feedback you aren't allowed to post in marketplace forums. maybe another thing to consider but it might be more trouble than it's worth

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »
A feedback scoring system would depend on the forum software; steveb0t, the wsc wrangler, would best be able to answer the technical aspects of that question.

Whether we want to have that or not, however, would be yet another decision/discussion/change. As I recall, we briefly had a "karma" system which totally backfired and caused way more isspay battles than we were prepared or wanted to deal with so we turned it of in fairly short order.

Lastly, a reminder: WSC is not a democracy, sorry. It is a community, yes, run by a few volunteers who mostly want things to go smoothly so they too can enjoy the camaraderie and shared enjoyment of a mutual interest with other like minded individuals.

This means that you can stop arguing and trying to convince each other about why your opinion on the need for stricter moderation in the Marketplace is needed or not. The louder and more belligerent you get will not make the moderators more likely to acquiesce. Nor will it carry any more weight with the members at large, because this is not a democracy and there will likely by no poll or vote. (I do not mean to say that we are not interested in your opinions, but that once you have stated them, you can relax!)

The admin/mod team have been discussing options concerning this issue off and on for some time now. Yes we've been slow about it, and there is a reason for this: WSC is not our day job. We have obligations, time commitments, families, pets, housework, laundry, and racing events - all competing for our time and attention. We'll get to it when we get to it, and more itchbaying and yelling at each other in this thread will only serve to get it locked as the previous one was. Please remember that we're all volunteers, and we'd much rather put our time towards positive contributions than have to spend hours dealing with arguments, complaints and drama llamas.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 10:28:57 pm »
A FS scoring system works better when most members don't know each other personally. I remember the karma system and while it was amusing watching peoples' scores plummet overnight, it also made it completely useless. Good members had ittshay scores because all their friends voted them down while crap members had great scores because nobody gave a itshay about them.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »
A FS scoring system works better when most members don't know each other personally. I remember the karma system and while it was amusing watching peoples' scores plummet overnight, it also made it completely useless. Good members had ittshay scores because all their friends voted them down while crap members had great scores because nobody gave a itshay about them.

Yep.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 10:39:14 pm »
fair enough. i think it would help to prevent problems like the one between WhiteRex and Spanky, where whiterex supposedly never paid for items spanky shipped to him. perhaps if the forum continues to expand in BC and saskatchewan this feature would be more useful

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:48 pm »
I don't think it would do anything for people like that. Nobody knows the full story, or at least it hasn't been posted on here, and a user rating system isn't going to prevent established members from ripping off other members.

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 18' GLE400
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 06:13:31 am »
I think we should stop wasting time and just lock this topic.  :o
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:30 am »
Yep.

I remember Zaider and Honz both had good ratings... Just saying.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:07 am »
Case in point.  I miss the karma system that had people itchbaying and moaning after a few negatives.  I also miss the down vote wars.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:32 am »
I also miss the down vote wars.
Thanks for that.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:03 am »

Im not popular enough to be down-voted :(
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 10:08:42 am »
Im not popular enough to be down-voted :(

I'd downvote you in a second bro.

If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 12:43:00 pm »

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 02:07:13 pm »
Based on the amount of quibbling and jackassery that has gone on in here. All I'll say is "you asked for it!"