Author Topic: 1990 Celica GT-S - The Hellica [Now with Trip Report!]  (Read 14590 times)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Re: 1990 Celica GT-S - The Hellica
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2016, 11:01:16 am »
Tuesday
We awaken in Merritt to a lake outside the motel and a large oil slick spreading across its surface, thanks to Cool Ranch.

The order of the day today is to drive up Highway 99 ("The Duffy") and ideally reach Whistler or similar before the end of the day. After a hearty breakfast care of the in-room kitchens, we gas up and hit the road.

On the way, we stop at a cidery for some reason.

A dog bounds up from the lower fields, regards us, sniffs Sweet Chili Heat and then pisses on its rear wheel and runs away.

We stop in Lillooet before hitting Hwy 99.

Lillooet is famous for being one of the first places in BC to get hydro power, thanks to its hilly geography. Behind us is part of I assume a hydroelectric turbine, turned into a statue by the widow of a town councillor.

Once on Highway 99, we immediately ran into some construction. The thing with mountain driving in BC, especially in the less traveled urban parts, is that rockfalls are extremely common. Modern road design is helping to reduce it with the invention of things known as "fences" and "ditches," but you will still hear of a lot of people getting taken out by a boulder.

These pictures were taken by Jason, which you can tell because they are good.

These people were here to help prematurely knock the loose rocks off the surface, so they could be picked up by a front end loader below and moved harmlessly out of our way.

Once the flag dropped, we were off to the races. We all got trapped behind this slow-in-corners, fast-on-straights rental Malibu for a long time, but then Sweet Chili Heat passed it and disappeared.

Highway 99 is extremely technical. We're talking dozens of switchbacks, very tight blind corners, decreasing-radius off-camber turns, the entire lot of what people commonly think of when they think of a challenging mountain drive. Luckily the weather was on our side, and wildlife stayed off the road with the exception of a near-oops with a brown bear on behalf of SCH.

We passed Sweet Chili Heat on the side of the road, stopped in a pullout for an assumed isspay break, and continued on Highway 99 towards Pemberton when Whatsapp lit up.

itshay.

itshay!

itshay itshay itshay.

While Kyle was driving, the car started to feel weird. It began to manifest excessive body roll, and then eventually just understeered off a tight switchback, across the (thankfully empty) opposing lane of traffic and into a road sign. It was a good thing the sign was there, because what you can't see is the deep gulley and creek behind it.

We summoned a tow truck driver, who lashed up Sweet Chili Heat and took Kyle and Kelly to Pemberton while we followed, somber.

After congratulating Kyle on "perpetuating the white race" (yes) and talking about his time in the military and the Datsuns of his youth, he dropped the car off at the Pemberton NAPA in a swampy part of the yard and sexually harassed the manager on the way out.

Later, thanks to the mega-soupy ground, these jackstands collapsed and the car fell over, thankfully with nobody under it.

The diagnosis is pretty bad: both control arms, the drag link, and the idler and pitman arms were all bent or uckfayed in one way or another. What's more, the NAPA couldn't order in any of those parts, and we were likely to need more, especially with the toe this far out.

For those of you unfamiliar with recirculating-ball steering (as I was), everything in this diagram is uckfayed:

Pulling off the front right wheel made things worse. The SA and FB both have a super-rare 4x110 bolt pattern, and as of right now we had 7 wheels for two cars.

We decided to check the stance while hunting down everyone we knew in the RX7 community. Stance is perfect.

With the sun growing low in the sky and no hope of resurrecting Sweet Chili Heat that evening, we determined that we were going to be stuck in Pemberton. After finding accommodation at a Swiss-Christian Murder Hostel (more on this in a bit), we secured liquor.

Slung Blade got offered drugs by some guy who was standing outside the grocery store and had presumably missed the music festival that had blown through the day before.

Oh yeah, the music festival.

In case you're unfamiliar with the Pemberton Music Festival, as I was, apparently there are some pretty major headliners. Apparently Jay-Z had been where we were just a few days previous, in uckyfay pseudorural BC. The McDonalds had a sign in the window claiming that it was out of both iced tea and Fruitopia.

Morale was low at this point. It looked increasingly unlikely that we would secure parts for Sweet Chili Heat within BC, let alone within the next day, and our already-marginal chances of hitting Tofino were now out the window.

That night, we drank. The next morning brought clarity, and opportunity.

The Swiss-Christian Murder Hostel
Working in shifts, we trucked manpower and gear to a nearby hostel that Kelly found on the internet.

As a child, I watched a lot of horror movies. A lot of those horror movies started out in a place like this.

Trust me, it looked a lot worse in the dark.

Okay, uckfay you, we're chicken itshays. It was actually super nice although the facility maintenance was a little rustic. Almost none of us were murdered overnight, and they even provided a rec room that we could get hammered on Crown Royal Apple in.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: 1990 Celica GT-S - The Hellica [Now with Trip Report!]
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2016, 01:16:05 pm »
This is a great story so far. I'm eager to hear what happened next....

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2016, 02:23:03 pm »
How long was this trip? With write ups like these, I'd like for it to go on forever.

Also, that goat has definitely killed at least 6 people.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »
How long was this trip? With write ups like these, I'd like for it to go on forever.
Sadly it only runs until Thursday.

Believe me, as soon as I got back to work I wanted to immediately set out again.

Also, that goat has definitely killed at least 6 people.
It wasn't the only goat there, nor was it the only murder goat.

Offline JasonRM

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: WRX Wagon, RX7
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2016, 03:29:53 pm »
I love re-living this through your narration.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:41 pm »
I love re-living this through your narration.
We should get together and do a travelogue in the future.

Every time I'm like "oh man a photo would really liven up this paragraph of text, if only I had taken one" you had taken one.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:07 pm »
We should get together and do a travelogue in the future.

Every time I'm like "oh man a photo would really liven up this paragraph of text, if only I had taken one" you had taken one.

Imagine... Getting PAID to do things like this.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:17 pm »
Imagine... Getting PAID to do things like this.
Nobody at the CBC will take my calls anymore, I thought my pitch for Start In Second Gear So You Don't Spin Your Wheels On The Ice was hot.

Fox has an option on the tumblr but I heard they were going to rework it into a sitcom about a guy who drives an air-cooled Volkswagen Beetle in SoHo.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:55 pm »
Epic. Just uckfaying Epic. Keep up the good work son.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2016, 09:36:14 pm »
Nobody at the CBC will take my calls anymore, I thought my pitch for Start In Second Gear So You Don't Spin Your Wheels On The Ice was hot.

Fox has an option on the tumblr but I heard they were going to rework it into a sitcom about a guy who drives an air-cooled Volkswagen Beetle in SoHo.

Re-pitch it with the working title
Almost 2nd gear: hitting the gates of automotive journalism
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2016, 04:29:44 pm »
Wednesday
A lot of people will tell you that, based on cartoons, roosters greet the dawn and then shut the uckfay up.

I'm not sure how that theory got started, because I am awoken at five in the morning by a rooster that won't stop crowing. I get ready for the day, slowly growing to accept the concept of spending more precious minutes of my life in the pseudorural armpit of Pemberton BC.

In the light of day, the murder hostel isn't that bad. It's got friendly goats, beautiful weather, a little dog, and a bunch of cats, which really liked Cool Ranch for some reason:

I start to wonder if maybe staying here forever isn't quite so bad. Then I stop standing in the exhaust cloud left behind by Cool Ranch's cold idle and my thoughts become clearer.

Overnight it has developed that Kyle's dad has picked up Kyle's F150, taken it to Slung Blade's dad's place, grabbed up a flatbed car trailer and began cannonballing the entire assembly all the way to BC. I am impressed at how handily the old-guy contingent has outmaneuvered us young bucks.

After a hearty pancake breakfast in the murder hostel's rec cabin, we reverse the previous day's shuffle activities.

In order to thank the people at the Pemberton NAPA for their hospitality we decide to take a look and see if there's any junk we can buy. I am sorely tempted to pick up this Man-Sized jug of brake cleaner:

Before I get a chance to get too accustomed to the twisties of rural BC while listening to Eurobeat blaring over the 10-speaker Celica surround sound system, my role as taxi driver comes to an end.

Both Kyle and Kelly greatly enjoyed their time in the Celica, from its brutal torque to its opulent comfort to its copious storage to its general lack of 120dB piercing rotor noise allowing you to have a conversation without the aid of a cabin-mounted radio system.

Now that the entire party is back together at the NAPA, a new problem arises: how do we get Sweet Chili Heat out to the street so it can be picked up by McTinkerdad?

Pushing doesn't move it, the toe is too extreme to overcome the tire scrub.

Sweet Chili Heat doesn't have enough torque to overcome the tire scrub either.

I volunteer the Celica. Kyle says "I don't think the Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7."

The Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7.

With McTinkerdad approaching, we decide to leave Kyle and Kelly behind with Sweet Chili Heat's shattered form in Pemberton to spend an entire day. The last we see of them is their lonely forms crossing the railroad tracks, preparing themselves for an exciting 24 hours in BC's most aspirational town.

As for Cool Ranch and us, we are on the way to Whistler.

The drive to Whistler is largely uneventful. I use my right foot judiciously, and let the 5SFE eat. If we can't make Tofino, we can at least make the coast.

Hours later, we roll into the ferry terminal in Vancouver.

Tidewater!!!!

In honour of our fallen friend, we dedicate one of Sweet Chili Heat's shattered fender mirrors to Poseidon.

After a quick scrum it is decided that we must get out of Vancouver immediately.

It is Wednesday. It is two PM. How bad can Vancouver traffic possibly be at two PM on a Wednesday?

The next few hours of going down the TCH are a blur. I probably came close to heatstroke a few times, consuming our entire quantity of water as I worked the temperature dial to make sure that the engine would stop overheating on the heat-soaked pavement in this rush-hour furnace.

At last, we make it to clear traffic, and Chilliwack, where we stop for sushi.

I will never take Chilliwack for granted ever again. As far as I'm concerned, that town is Christ Jesus, and not just because there was some kind of weird muscle-car/ricer-car event going on at the moment which gave birth to this Z-car:

After driving for a few more hours, I decide to spring for a hotel in Kamloops, because I want a hot tub.

We receive word of the successful pickup of Sweet Chili Heat around this time. In fact, not only did they pick it up successfully, but they already passed through Kamloops on the way back to Alberta. We missed them by about a half hour.

Obviously, tomorrow we would have to drive much faster.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »
Just wanted to take a break in the middle of this story to tell you guys that all three cars featured in this story are for sale.

Sweet Chili Heat has all the parts, but until there's an offer the rebuild process won't start.

Cool Ranch is up for sale, they are looking for $2000 OBO.

The Hellica is also for sale.

PM me if you're interested in any or all of them.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:23 am »
Thursday
Our in-suite butler was pretty nice, and buoyed by the concept that at one point in time we may return to civilization, the two remaining crews are in high spirits.

Looting the hotel breakfast proves fruitful: did you know that if you empty the entire mini-fridge of juices single-handedly, someone will appear to refill them without even questioning why you have a backpack full of free juice?

We punch it and head towards Alberta on Hwy-1. By this point, the Trans-Canada highway has calmed down, no longer being dominated by mountains but instead the relentless sameness of provincial parks. First Yoho, then Banff will fall at our feet.

One of the things that isn't illegal in provincial parks is slow-moving RVs, and during my driving shifts I frequently find myself going for the heater dial to control the Celica's chronic overheating at grade.

As the morning progresses Slung and I find the concept of stopping at Husky House completely irresistable. We do so, and it is probably the most satisfying roast beef sandwich of my long and storied career. I want one again right now.

Across the border and back in God's Own Country, Alberta, we make a quick detour onto 1A to visit the Bow Valley Parkway. This is probably a mistake, as even when it's not clogged with photo-snapping Germans, the speed limit is only in the low 40s. I can sense the Celica's grumbling irritation at being led from rental-crushing highway speeds to being forced to admire trees and the occasional bear.

We hop on 22 and play with the locals for a bit. It's near the turnoff into Airdrie that disaster strikes.

In stop-and-go rush hour traffic the Celica is not only overheating but loudly pinging, so when the road opens up we cut bait and go slowly with the heater cranked. We crawl into Airdrie, and the final leg of the event, wondering if maybe this is how the brave 5SFE will finally gasp its last.

At last we are in Airdrie, and to our surprise the Celica has returned completely to normal, with no trace of the brutal low-rpm pinging and hesitation it was previously manifesting. Toyota builds a helluva motor, I guess.

We did it.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2016, 12:45:06 pm »

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2016, 01:19:31 pm »
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
This story is awe, inspiring. Cant wait for R&W and i to embark on our journey in our celica this september :D

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2016, 01:26:32 pm »
This story is awe, inspiring. Cant wait for R&W and i to embark on our journey in our celica this september :D
I wish I had taken better notes. I was only occasionally thumbing events into my phone's notes app.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:43 pm »
Don't do it, it's a sting.

A van with men will arrive and take you away.

That's what you get for smuggling apex seals up your butt.

SSS, when are you going to become a full time writer? That was epic.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2016, 04:32:18 pm »
That's what you get for smuggling apex seals up your butt.

SSS, when are you going to become a full time writer? That was epic.

Side seals, thank you very much.

When I road tripped to Van a few years back, I took hwy 99. Such a great road. Really though, once you hit pemberton you're better off just turning around and going back, only sadness awaits if you continue towards Vancouver.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline McTinkerson

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 2015 F150 RWD & TT
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »
Seat Safety Switch insists that I post a build thread here, I already have one up over on the Grassroots Motorsports Forums and I no longer have my SF Foz and am not really an active member here so this will have to due.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/well-that-escalated-quicklyaka-theres-only-one-true-doritos-flavour/120769/page1/
In today's ultra liberal PC world it's not acceptable to ask an engine to identify as a 2-stroke or 4-stroke. If a 4-stroke wants to burn pre-mix, who are we to judge. A 4-stroke can be anything it wants to be. Quit trying to label things.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »
You can't hear it, but im sighing in a depressed manner.

So many cars have popped up recently that recieve so much want.
Since I can't afford to buy, store, or work on them, im guessing between 1 and 4 of my current vehicles will break down irreparably immediately after they are sold.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »
With the discovery that my 2.5TS has its transmission only sorta attached, I have seized the Celica for daily driver duty.

It's pretty... good?

It's very quiet. The broken speakers and crappy radio antenna are starting to bug me, though.

Then again it's quiet enough to hear the radio so..

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »
This story is great and even McTinkerson's build thread just adds more awesome!
Unfortunately the Mona Lisa lost her smile on a highway in BC. :'(

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
It still has a grin. The passenger side has since been repaired with factory service manual illustrations:

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2018, 09:12:02 am »
Just wanted to bump this to say that we sold the car about half a year ago, and I've since seen it on the road near Kincora. So keep an eye out for the blue Celica with blinding LED foglights for DRLs.

What a good car.