Author Topic: Project CORAL! - Off to a new start.....  (Read 20218 times)

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Project CORAL! - Off to a new start.....
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:26 pm »

Well, I decided to start a new/long term project. After decided to part out the WRX, I was going back and forth on a couple of different    ideas for the next project car. I was thinking S2000, doing another EP3 civic, going with something more simple like a Miata, but I had always wanted to build up another old school Toyota.

Bit of a back story, but both my and my wife's first cars were 80's Toyota. I had an 87 Supra, and she had an 83 Celica GT. I only had my supra for about 4 months before I decided to scrap it (couldn't get it registered), and my wife had her Celica for about a year and a half. They were both pretty beat, both pretty worse for wear, but they left us both with great memories and something to look back on years later. We loved the way they both drove, loved the character and loved the looks people would give them.

Anyways, so one car I've always loved is the E7 chassis Corolla's. They laid the groundwork for the AE86, but by comparison are usually looked over. I've been keeping my eye out for the last maybe year looking for a decent car to come up for sale at a decent price, but every time I found one, it would be some place like Arizona or Texas. I pretty much stopped looking in Canada because they are like hens teeth to find up here in decent shape or at a decent price point.

Last Saturday, I was at home going through facebook and I saw an add pop up for a guy in Canmore selling a '83 Corolla DX wagon for $1000. This is the car I was looking for. Within seconds of the guy posting it, I sent him a message and asked him if I could come out and see it on Wednesday (my next day off work), he had told me he has someone coming to see it on Sunday afternoon and it's first come first serve. I didn't want to miss out on this opporutnity, so I decided to wake up at 6am to drive to Canmore to go check this thing out, to hopefully leave a deposit and get back to Calgary for 11am to open the shop. So I did, drove out, saw the car, loved it, haggled a bit and within 20 minutes, I was the new owner of this Corolla Wagon, also known as CORAL!

Fast forward to Wednesday night and me and my buddy drove out to pick it up, bring it back to the shop and take a look at it. I would have driven it back from Canmore, but the carb's choke is stuck, so it floods out at opertating temperature. More on that later.

When we got it back to the shop, we saw how filthy this thing was on the outside. It has been street parked for who knows how long and hasn't been washed for who know how much longer.

Gave her a quick bath so we could finally see what we're dealing with. The body isn't that bad. Biggest areas of concern are the rear 1/4 pannels (just sheet metal, structurally everything under neath is solid), rear wheel wells, a small spot on the rear body behind the bumper, the hatch, some surface rust here and there and a couple of little dents along the way. But for a 34 year old car, this thing is in pretty good shape all in all.

The bad

The good's about it though, is because it's a Canadian car, it has a 4AC engine in it, and a T50 transmission in it. The 4AC is a whole whopping 74HP and has a carb that flood out when it hits operating temperature, but the T50 is the same transmission found in the AE86 and the 4AC is part of the A series motors, meaning other A series motors such as 7AFE, 4AGE, and the 4AGE 20V motors drop in to the front cross member with no modification required.

Also because it's an 83, it has rack and pinion in it already, so no manual steering junk.

More on the next post...

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Project CORAL! (Wagon inside)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:44 pm »
So, some people at this point would be thinking "what a pile of itshay" or "why the hell would anyone spend their money on that thing". The answer is that I was looking for a long term project, something that has potential, something I can build my own way, and something that's going to be different. I also love old Japanese cars too. Also for the amount I have invested in this thing, I can pull the plug at anytime and walk away without feeling guilty.

My plan for this car is just to do something clean, functional, something that will turn heads, something that will be built properly and something I built my self.

The plan is do have it look something similar to this when it's all said and done.

(with slight alterations)

Plans for the car:
Body work - Clean up all the rust, replace seals as needed, paint. I'm still undecided as to a colour, but I still have some time.

Interior - I want to keep it somewhat classic, but safe too. I'm going to be replacing the front seats with something more modern/safer, and the rear seat will be reupholstered. I'm also going to build my own door cards to get rid of the beige on beige carpet. I'm also going to be doing my typical thing of blacking out the interior, just looks a hell of a lot cleaner. Carpet is going to be replaced with a reproduction one, dash will either get recovered or get a cap for it.

Exterior - delete the chrome trim, quad headlight front end, JDM style front bumper, rear bumper delete, chin spoiler (might order one from battlegarage soon), fender mirrors (already ordered).

Suspension - Since this is an AE71 chassis, it has leaf springs in the back with inboard diagonally mounted shocks, so can't do a coilover conversion easily unless I either A. buy a KE70 sedan, chop the floor pans out and weld them into the wagon, or B. I reinforce the rear end and fab up some upper shock mounts. So leaf springs it it! I'm going to get the guys over at Calgary spring and suspension to repack the leafs, add another one in to stiffen it up and to adjust the ride height in the back. For the front, I can do AE86 front suspension, but because the spindles are hard to find these days, I'm probably going to go with some Techno Toys Tuning weld on coilovers and some KYB AGX shocks up front.

Drivetrain - Now heres the fun part. I'm narrowing down my choices between a 20V Blacktop 4AGE or a Blacktop Beams motor. The 20V will be the easier of the two, but less power and more money, where as the beams will be more power, less money but a hell of a lot more fab work.

Progress in the next post...

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »
So after picking it up on Wednesday, I didn't have any time to work on it until Saturday. So I decided to pack up some tools, a bunch of gloves, and decided to go work on cleaning it out/checking it all out.

Before that, I did order some parts up for it and bought some wheels locally. I first bought a set of Ebay special fender mirrors. The cars driver side mirror is broken (both the housing and the lens), so instead of spending hours and hour looking for a replacement one online and spending a million dollars to buy it, I spent $48 and order a set of these guys up instead...

They should be here in a couple of weeks times.

I also found a set of wheels locally that would be a perfect fit.

The top set are a set of OG 14x6 +15 Enkei 92's and the bottom set are 14x6.5 +10 Riken Mesh. They are a bit rough, but will be refinished properly. Picked the full set of them up for $200.

Back to the cleaning out. Not a whole lot of surprises to be found in the car. Some really gross floor mats, a bunch of cigarette butts, $4.38 in change, and this thing....

That was promptly broken and thrown in the dumpster.

I spent most of the day vacuuming the carpets, seats, and panels. Theres no pictures because they still look dirty as hell, part of the reason why I'm buying a new carpet for it. I did take out the trunk carpet and replaced it with some subbox carpeting I had at work. I forgot to take pictures, so I'll post them when I get back to work.

I also started grinding down the 1/4 panel where the major rot is to see how bad it is. It's actually not too bad all things considered.

The exterior trim was one of the other things I decided to pull off. Normally the C-pillar trim gets moisture and water stuck behind it which causes rust. I pulled mine off and there was nothing behind there but dirt, so I got super lucky.

Anyways, thats the first little bit of project Coral. If you don't understand the reference, Rick from the walking dead always pronounces his son Carl's name "Coral". The cars a Corolla, it's missing it's right eye, it all makes sense.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:07:17 pm »
Yes!!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:27:20 pm »
This thing is dope. Take good care of it.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »
Very cool. Im excited to see where this project goes!

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:46:09 pm »
Very excited to see where you take the Coral, Jukka. Old Toyotas are awesome!

There's nothing wrong with a RWD stick shift wagon. Toyota also had rather good suspension setups on the RWD vehicles back in the day. Always feel  controllable and great to pitch around.

Also, you might be using T3 Tuning frequently... I've bought a couple things from them and the quality is great.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ke70
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:11 am »
Putting your money where seatsafetyswitch's mouth is. I love it!
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:04 pm »
 8)
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

DaDuke99

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:23 pm »
Is that... a giant pipe? Or a weird assay shoehorn? Interesting find either way.. also love the rear wiper, and how it can reach like a quarter of the window  :D

This should definitely keep you busy. After fighting rust so much with the subie, I was surprised as hell that you got something rustier

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
Very excited to see where you take the Coral, Jukka. Old Toyotas are awesome!

There's nothing wrong with a RWD stick shift wagon. Toyota also had rather good suspension setups on the RWD vehicles back in the day. Always feel  controllable and great to pitch around.

Also, you might be using T3 Tuning frequently... I've bought a couple things from them and the quality is great.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ke70

Thanks man! I've already been in touch with Gabe over at T3 about some stuff so far. Haven't pulled the plug on anything just yet, but he's been a good guy just to chat with regarding some ideas.

Is that... a giant pipe? Or a weird assay shoehorn? Interesting find either way.. also love the rear wiper, and how it can reach like a quarter of the window  :D

This should definitely keep you busy. After fighting rust so much with the subie, I was surprised as hell that you got something rustier
Different type of rust. On the subaru the rust on the pinch welds was rusting into a structural component and something that would be a massive/expensive pain in the assay to replace (rear 1/4s, rocker sills, floor pan, etc). This thing is rusty, but only in places where theres just sheet metal. All of the major structural parts are completely rust free, which is why I decided to go with it. Plus almost every single E7 chassis i've seen for sale is rusty somewhere, so for a Canadian car, this isn't too bad.

Small update, I pulled the trigger on an order from RockAuto this afternoon. Ordered up some new drums, brake shoe hardware, carb rebuild kit, and a new carpet for the car. Everything should be here in the next 2 weeks or so. I'm also chatting with a buddy of mine in Ontario to see what he can source me out for front suspension parts. I'm thinking I may get a set of AE86 front struts so I can run bigger brakes up front, but still keep them tucked under the 14"s. But we're still chatting/in the works to get some stuff set up. Will keep this thread updated as I get them.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:42:25 am »
That thing really isn't in that bad of condition. Like you said, all things considered its a 34 year old car..
I bought a 94 GSR Integra that had worst rusting issues than that..

Really excited for this build. There is a guy on kijiji selling lots of 4AGE parts from an 86.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »
Link?
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:05 pm »
^^ I'm actually grabbing the AE86 brakes from him this weekend.

No major updates as of yet. I did order some new NOS Toyota front turn signal lenses for the front. I also went to go see if I could get replacement marker lights beside the headlights because mine are broken, and the right side is discontinued, left side is still available. I may order them up, or I may switch over to the asain market flat face front end like this:

I found because of the angled fenders, it makes doing the front end conversions a PITA unless I find sedan or KE70 (78-82 fenders).  In the mean time, I bought a set of Anzo sealed beam conversion lenses so at least I'll be able to see at night driving.

EDIT: Ordered the flat face conversion stuff last night. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

I also picked up a set of near mint RA Celica seats this afternoon. Only downside to them is there is a tiny rip in the vinyl on the back of the passenger seat and the elastic holding the webbing for the pocket on the back is stretched out.

Pictures:
The seat collection:

They were nice Grey, but grey won't match the interior plan for the car, so grey has to go.

Much better!

Also got my first of 3 boxes from RockAuto yesterday. Got my new drums and the all important carb rebuild kit.

Going to be rebuilding the carb sometime this week, when that's done, it means I can actually drive this thing more than a block. Hopefully will be plating the car by next week.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »
Well, some good and bad updates with Coral from this week.

Bad: Went to go rebuild the carb and after taking the carb off the manifold, I found the carb body has 2 hairline cracks in it, which is were fuel is leaking from, which is why the carb floods out at operating temperature. Engine gets hot, metal expands, fuel comes flowing out.

I'm going to try and JB weld it and see if it seals up temporarily so I can at least drive the car in and out of the shop/maybe drive it home when I can.

The Good!: I decided to start pulling the interior apart, mainly getting the old musty carpets up and out in preperation for my new replacement carpet that should be showing up this week. When I pulled the carpets out, which were disgusting (they probably had 10lbs of dirt, mold and cigarette ash in them), I found a really nice surprise underneath.

The floor pans are MINT! Not even a spec of rust on them, even around the drain plugs where they usually rust. I knew they looked clean from the bottom, but I was expecting some rust on the pan somewhere.

Also while pulling the carpet out, I also found that one of the PO's put a set of 4" Pioneer speakers in the kick pods.

Also test fit the Celica seat, which I was told would be almost a direct fit....it was not. I need to cut the tabs off the factory seat rails and weld them to the celica rails.

On the suspension side of things, I talked to my buddies over at Calgary Spring and Suspension, and they are going to repack and re-arch my springs for me when I'm ready. When they do that, I found out I can run a set of Competition Engineering drag shocks in the back (3 way adjustable rebound and compression ratings), which I can get for cheap from work. On the front side of the car, I picked up a set of AE86 GTS front calipers and backing plates/mounting brackets I'm going to see if I can run on the AE72 strut casings. If I can, OEM big brake upgrade kit, if I can't looks like I'll go with a set of AE86 front casings my buddy has. If I can run the AE72 casings, I'm going to order a set of T3 weld on coilovers and grab some AW11 MR2 rear strut cartridges. They are the same diameter and measurements as the OEM AE72 cartridges, but the stroke length and compressed and extended length is 2" shorter. Should work well for a coilover setup.

Well, since the car isn't going to be driveable for a bit, changes my plans for the car and what order I was going to be doing things in. Originally it was going to be first things were going to be fix the exterior and interior, drive the car for awhile, then eventually swap the drivetrain. Looks like I may have to switch things up in priority. Downside of that is more money being put upfront on something that I was hoping to do later, but upside is that I can keep my car at work longer and have access to a welder, plasma cutter, and tools to be doing other work on it with.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:15 pm »
This is awesome. Look forward to more of this car

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:30 pm »
There is a difference in rear AW11 strut cartridges. The 87-89 cartridge is longer than the 85 and 86 ones. Or that might have just been the KYBs. But the Koni ones I have fit in like a glove with the added bonus of being adjustable.

I'm also curious to know what the seat mounts look like, from the pictures the floor panel *looks* like they're the same as the AW11 panel for the seat mounts. I still have the seats if you'd like to compare bases and see if it'll fit and if you could make them fit with the Celica seats.

Here's the passenger side. It seems really similar.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:16:59 am »
There is a difference in rear AW11 strut cartridges. The 87-89 cartridge is longer than the 85 and 86 ones. Or that might have just been the KYBs. But the Koni ones I have fit in like a glove with the added bonus of being adjustable.

I'm also curious to know what the seat mounts look like, from the pictures the floor panel *looks* like they're the same as the AW11 panel for the seat mounts. I still have the seats if you'd like to compare bases and see if it'll fit and if you could make them fit with the Celica seats.

I got my measurements off KYB's website for an 86 AW11, so must be the shorter stroke one. I'm still debating on what cartridge to get, but the Excel-G's are dirt cheap, so I may go that way.

The floor pans do look pretty similar. I may have to borrow a seat to see if it lines up. I'll msg you when I get to a point where I (A) enough room to store them for a couple of days and (B) when I get time to work on it again.

I'm slap some JB weld on the carb this afternoon and see if it seals up the cracks enough to stop the leak. Even if it's temporarily works, thats good enough for me. I mostly want it so I can drive it to and from the shop when I need to.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:06 pm »
How big is the carb and is it 2 bbl? 4bbl?
You can probably retrofit a cheap replacement for little to no trouble, some vac line plugs and caps, and a hundred bucks

Or you might be able to find a non cracked one with a quick trip down to the pnp.

Probably keihin? Those are pretty much on everything.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline drewfuspx

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 03:21:54 pm »
This Seat dye that you use is it spray on? Would be curious how you do that because both the Tommy Kaira seat and these look really great.
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 11:53:07 am »
How big is the carb and is it 2 bbl? 4bbl?
You can probably retrofit a cheap replacement for little to no trouble, some vac line plugs and caps, and a hundred bucks

Or you might be able to find a non cracked one with a quick trip down to the pnp.

Probably keihin? Those are pretty much on everything.
It's a 2 barrel ASIN carb. I looked into seeing if I could retrofit a 2 barrel holley onto it because I can buy it from work, but honestly for the price of it I'd rather put the money towards the motor swap.

This Seat dye that you use is it spray on? Would be curious how you do that because both the Tommy Kaira seat and these look really great.
Yup, its Duplicolor spray vinyl and fabric dye. I've used it a ton of times on different projects over the years. First project I ever used it on was back in college, I dyed my buddy's Integra carpet black from grey. We did some other work to his car like reupholstered his headliner, recaro seats and leather GSR rear seats.

The TK seat didn't have any of this stuff used on it. I touched up the TK and Recaro logos with some fabric paint (comes in a touch-up pen style of applicator).

Speaking of carpet, I got my replacement carpet in the other day. I have to say for the price of it, I'm very very pleased. Comes with underpadding, heal plate, is fully formed already even for the seat mount brackets, just needs some holes cut in it.

I also got my first piece of the flat nose conversion in too. I got the passenger side marker and bezel. I ordered it off Ebay and while most of the other bezels were about $120, I found this one for about $60, so I thought what a deal! Found out the reason it was only $60 was because it was only the right side. So now I need to order the left side or return this one and order both sides.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »
There's one at Edmonton pnp that would work if it wasn't a 1.6L, but it's efi  >:(

Just go to 52nd St pnp and look in every old Japanese car for a 2bbl aisin. Swap the jets and power valves from your cracked one. Plug any vac lines that don't fit.

If you don't have time, I bet SSS will do it for free. He might even pay you for the opportunity.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 03:13:48 pm »
Should just do a GM TBI conversion from a 2.2.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »
Small update. The new JDM/EDM headlights came in. I accidently only ordered the passenger side marker light/bezel, so I'm going to have to get the other side ordered up soon.

Now I need to cut the OEM connector off the original marker lens if I'm going to keep everything OEM looking, or buy some 2 pin deutch connectors and cut the OEM harness and the aftermarket marker harness.

I also picked up a new 20 gallon air compressor, body tool kit, a bench vice sheet metal break (for forming panels), and my buddy is going to lend me his hobby welder to start working on the body work when I get it home.

I also have my buddy trying to repair the carb. He brought it home to rebuild it completely and also to try and JB weld it up to see if we can get the fuel seeping to stop. He said he's done JB weld on carb bodies before and as long as the carb is 100% clean and the JB is put on smoothly, he said it usually works really well. So here's hoping.

I'm also planning on heading up to Red Deer on the 25th to go to the swap meet to see if anything cool comes up. My buddy who went last year said there's usually a couple of guys selling old Toyota stuff for cheap, so hopefully I can find some gems for a decent price. If not, I'm going to see if I can pickup some trinkets/vintage things that will work with the style of the car.